Opera founder has resigned from the company

Any other tech-related topics
guinness

Re: Opera founder has resigned from the company

#16 Post by guinness »

Thanks SYSTEM, I haven't used Firefox since 3.6.1 so a lot has changed since then of course.

carbonize

#17 Post by carbonize »

I think it's one of those features only a few will find useful. Not sure many people ever have enough tabs open to worry about having to organise them.

carbonize

#19 Post by carbonize »

Yes but that study is flawed as it was only based on 21 users and the email clearly stated, "If you use Mozilla Firefox for several hours a day, and often use multiple tabs or windows, then you are a candidate for the study."

joby_toss

#20 Post by joby_toss »

Most studies about browsers are. :)

SYSTEM

#21 Post by SYSTEM »

carbonize wrote:I think it's one of those features only a few will find useful. Not sure many people ever have enough tabs open to worry about having to organise them.
My point isn't that most people would find the features of Opera useful. It's that some, maybe even most, of current Opera users do.

I also believe that dropping features wouldn't make Opera attract many new users.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

carbonize

#22 Post by carbonize »

SYSTEM wrote:
carbonize wrote:I also believe that dropping features wouldn't make Opera attract many new users.
Worked wonders for Mozilla though. I mean who ever used the Mozilla suite? And let's be honest, Opera's market share is pitiful.

the_watcher

#23 Post by the_watcher »

firefox's success was due to it's very successful advertising at that time. Firefox was the first, TOTALLY FREE alternative...opera was a little late

carbonize

#24 Post by carbonize »

Opera always had a free version even long before Firefox. Just had to put up with adverts.

JohnTHaller

#25 Post by JohnTHaller »

carbonize wrote:Opera always had a free version even long before Firefox. Just had to put up with adverts.
Right, but Opera had adverts or paid vs Firefox which had no ads and no cost. And it was open source (unlike IE or Opera) which is a big deal to most techies since it means no lock-in or hidden scariness.
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality