DRM again

Any other tech-related topics
webfork

DRM again

#1 Post by webfork »

There was some recent discussion about moves on Windows 11 to add digital rights management (DRM) with their "TPM" chip requirement for new computers.

Since I feel like it's been a long while since this topic came up in a significant way, here's some background and a LOT of info around the topic from Cory Doctorow came up recently on HN about Why none of my books are available on Audible. It covers:

* Why DRM creates massive amounts of e-waste
* How the vague laws around DRM create a kind of protective shell around bad business practices
* How creators are getting screwed

It's also a massive poke at Amazon, which is clearly an itch the author wants to scratch.

---

While I do hope Microsoft backs off their TPM-DRM plans, it does seem the direction they've been going for years now. So I will be doing my best to move away from their products.

Mike.S.G.

Re: DRM again

#2 Post by Mike.S.G. »

I'm still running Firefox 80, mostly because of uncertainty about how much newer versions of the browser can be tweaked. Until recently I had DRM disabled and uninstalled (IIRC the Widevine addon has something to do with DRM) but went ahead and checked DRM in Options and installed Widevine so I could watch content on TubiTV - I'm still getting a DRM error, an error related to a certificate server can't be reached - so tired of this kind of stuff, I just want to view a video on your site - that's it.

DRM causes e-waste and who knows what else but it has been frustrating me to the point I don't want to even visit sites requiring DRM protected playback simply as my private quiet individual protest against it.

Speaking of a protected shell... so much has changed since the late 80s/early 90s. I enjoyed my digital life more (well mostly) when you could build a PC, install the OS, and tweak things to your hearts content. Also, shortly this new space called the web/internet would appear, a strange uncertain space where (for good or for bad) you could get hold of just about anything - which for a bit wasn't much. As things changed and this new world of the personal computer (laptop, desktop, handheld, ...) and the new digital frontier was becoming an essential part of life like phones, toilets, refrigerators, cars, etc... the people who control this world are some of the most closed minded, control freaks I've ever come in contact with. They appear to want to make our lifes smaller, more confined, limited, optionless - it's like they don't trust us to make the best decision for our lives, they are smarter than us, more deserving and better equipped to let us know what side is up. Thank you Facebook, Twitter, MS, if it wasn't for you I don't think I would have ever understood what I was reading is disinformation. My life is more sure now since you've told me what to believe - thank you for looking out for me.

freakazoid

#3 Post by freakazoid »

Mike.S.G. wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:56 pm I'm still running Firefox 80, mostly because of uncertainty about how much newer versions of the browser can be tweaked. Until recently I had DRM disabled and uninstalled (IIRC the Widevine addon has something to do with DRM) but went ahead and checked DRM in Options and installed Widevine so I could watch content on TubiTV - I'm still getting a DRM error, an error related to a certificate server can't be reached - so tired of this kind of stuff, I just want to view a video on your site - that's it.
I would caution using older versions of any browser.

About the DRM thing, the latest version of Firefox might fix that. Try Firefox Portable to test things out first. If not Firefox, try Microsoft Edge. It's already bundled in Windows 10 and up and TubiTV should work with that.
is it stealth? ;)

Andrew Lee

#4 Post by Andrew Lee »

Throwing this Planet Money episode into the rink:

https://www.npr.org/2022/08/18/11182897 ... al-lending

Quick summary: ebook licenses have drastically increased the cost to libraries because money-grabbing publishers have increased the cost of ebook licenses and decreased the length of the license to only 2 years.

So libraries can spend $15 to stock a physical book that they can lend out in perpetuity, or spend the same amount to stock an ebook that they can only lend out for 2 years.

My opinion: DRM is evil :D

Midas

#5 Post by Midas »

Andrew Lee wrote: DRM is evil :D

💯󠀥❗💢

Mike.S.G.

#6 Post by Mike.S.G. »

freakazoid wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:39 pm I would caution using older versions of any browser.

About the DRM thing, the latest version of Firefox might fix that. Try Firefox Portable to test things out first. If not Firefox, try Microsoft Edge. It's already bundled in Windows 10 and up and TubiTV should work with that.
I didn't update to the latest but moved up from v80 to v91. As I expected they changed some in the UI, IIRC from Quantum to Proton, they also removed a few of the about:config settings I've been using for some time. Overall I'm glad I upgraded. The DRM issue was resolved, not sure how, I did the same thing in 91 that I did in 80 - checked DRM in Options and made sure the addon was downloaded and activated - yes for both v80 & v91 yet it only seemed to work without any issues in v91. Tested the browser's DRM @Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, and TubiTV - FF v91 plays DRM protected content at all sites so I'm happy.

Oh, I upgraded using the .paf version (I only install portable Firefox) - v91.13 Legacy, last patches applied in August of 2022 IIRC.

Midas

#7 Post by Midas »

Something that may be (or not...) relevant in the present context: Intel's Software Guard Extension and some scholarly research on how it's used (and broken) in defense of DRM, mainly in PowerDVD...
Intel's Software Guard Extension (SGX) promises an isolated execution environment, protected from all software running on the machine. In the past few years, however, SGX has come under heavy fire, threatened by numerous side channel attacks. With Intel repeatedly patching SGX to regain security, we set out to explore the effectiveness of SGX's update mechanisms to prevent attacks on real-world deployments.
CyberLink PowerDVD is a popular software application to play UHD Blu-rays on computers, that relies on Intel SGX to ensure the confidentiality and integrity of AACS disc decryption keys.