Linux Sucks 2021

Any other tech-related topics
h3kt0r

Linux Sucks 2021

#1 Post by h3kt0r »

Bryan Lunduke :
Behold! The 2021 edition of Linux Sucks!
https://youtu.be/WtJ9T_IJOPE

I think, somehow, micro$oft, IBM and other big monopolistic players managed to sabotage the open-source community...

SYSTEM

Re: Linux Sucks 2021

#2 Post by SYSTEM »

I don't agree with the premise of that video.

GNU/Linux remains the dominant operating system in servers, and I don't see it changing. There's a lot of inertia involved in changing operating systems (even in servers) and GNU/Linux is free and good enough for the needs of nearly all companies.

On desktop, it's not very popular, but, well, never has been.

I also disagree with the claim that Google's Fuchsia OS would be proof that they see GNU/Linux dying. I believe Google just wants to be independent: with their very own operating system they eliminate a lot of the risk involved with using someone else's kernel they can't fully control.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

Andrew Lee

#3 Post by Andrew Lee »

I seriously doubt Fuchsia will unseat Linux on Android, not in the short term, probably not even in the medium term.

Fuchsia is an insurance for Google. There are simply too many advantages to go with Linux, a lot of features that you can just adopt and use. Attempting to go in-house with every one of those features is just suboptimal.

webfork

#4 Post by webfork »

It's like a blog post stretched out into a 44 min diatribe. Skip ahead to 32:16 for a summary, but you may want to bump up the video speed on YouTube because this guy is verbose.

Despite the length, I did enjoy how the caveats were more interesting than the overall message. For example that his career, his video, and a gazillion devices all hinge on Linux. But yeah it's probably dead soon.

---

On Fuchsia: Find myself agreeing with SYSTEM and Andrew about -- I've heard almost nothing about that topic in the last year. Meanwhile open source, infrastructure as code, containers, and (all still very much Linux) are exploding in usage and importance.

IBM is going to eat Redhat, I'm seeing suggestions it's actually the other way around. I guess time will tell on that one.

OSS leadership is under attack:

First, let's be clear what leadership means: it's influence. You can be King President of Computers but unless what you say affects people or comes with real power, it's irrelevant. That's certainly the case in broad communities that don't have some top-down chain-of-command leadership. I can imagine that, in the early days, pure hardheadedness and technical skill was probably reason enough to be in charge. That's often how things work in startups as well. However, as things mature and get bigger, you have to resonate with more people, not just the ultra-techies.

A great way therefore to lose your leadership status, whether in overall influence or specific titles, is to say things publicly defending the things that most of society vilifies. I mean, you're not going win friends an influence people at the Beef Council if you announce you're a vegetarian. You certainly won't be taken seriously. That someone gets kicked off a mailing list is irrelevant if nobody cares what they're saying in the first place. I'm talking about ESR and RMS here, I've seen very little about trying to oust Torvalds and a quick news check there comes up mostly empty on the topic.

Second, I can't connect the dots to say that when the founders of something aren't involved that the project is over. That just doesn't make sense in tech.

I can say one thing on his behalf, which is that it's unclear (at least to me) who the new leaders are.
Last edited by webfork on Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: (better wording)

h3kt0r

#5 Post by h3kt0r »

God damn it ! This dude has just released another video :
(Let's Throw Gentoo in a) Burning Pit of Fire - Song parody of "Ring of Fire"

h3kt0r

#6 Post by h3kt0r »

So, Linux sucks so much, i've finally switched my system to dual boot "Windows 10" & "MX Linux (patito feo)".
I've tried and ran portable software through "Wine" with a lot of success. Then i've installed "Steam" to discover that nowadays you can play thousands of games on Linux. I guess i will stick with this "MX Linux" distro for some time...

webfork

#7 Post by webfork »

h3kt0r wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:14 pm I've tried and ran portable software through "Wine" with a lot of success. Then i've installed "Steam" to discover that nowadays you can play thousands of games on Linux. I guess i will stick with this "MX Linux" distro for some time...
Fossmint did a breakdown on Windows-friendly distros I've had some luck with Zorin but haven't had time to really dive in. Windowsfx also looks interesting, with loads of default Windows / Microsoft apps. If you were going to trick someone into using a Linux computer full time, that might be the route.

Midas

#8 Post by Midas »

Let me add yet another pointer to the Trident/Plasma (desktop environments) versions of Debian based Q4OS (www.q4os.org), the former of which is also very lightweight and forgiving for legacy hardware...

h3kt0r

#9 Post by h3kt0r »

Desktop screenshot (MX Linux). Running Windows software under Linux through "Wine" is nearly perfect.