Adware model: background market research

Any other tech-related topics
webfork

Adware model: background market research

#1 Post by webfork »

I'm not advocating use of this liteware dictation program, but I though the terms of the free version were … interesting:
The free version of LilySpeech is made possible by doing market research in the background ... examples:

Checking and verifying websites positions in search engines for different search terms
Ad placement verification
Competition price checking
Website uptime monitoring
https://lilyspeech.com/lilyspeech-free-version/

Reading through the vague, nothing-speak license, I think it basically I think it does some research on your computer that looks legitimate and not like some a specific company digging for info. I have read that some websites will jack up their prices if they think you are price matching (via watching 3rd party cookies), but I don't know the status of that or if this program would create issues like that.

More to the point, I expect to see more programs with this kind of payment model in the future.

Andrew Lee

Re: Adware model: background market research

#2 Post by Andrew Lee »

That's interesting.. not sure if any other software does it without being explicit (Windows telemetry, anyone?), but this is the first time I come across a software that lays it bare like this.

Maybe in the future a software will explicitly state that it will perform crypto-mining when you are using their software :D