FileOptimizer - broad format compression

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
nikkho

Re: FileOptimizer - broad format compression

#121 Post by nikkho »

FileOptimizer 11.30 is out, beware of the new URL: https://nikkhokkho.sourceforge.io/stati ... eOptimizer

- Moved to a new HTTPS enabled website at https://nikkhokkho.sourceforge.io.
- Switched code to support HTTP and HTTPS.
- Added integrated ads display, since some users wanted to support FileOptimizer and do not have Paypal. You can remove if you want.
- Added HideAds=false INI setting to remove ads.
- Added GUI option to remove ads.
- Disabled Windows error handling, so when a plugin crashes, FileOptimizer execution does not get stopped (Garret Wilson and others).
- Disabled/deprecated themes because they are not stable. I will remove all asociated code in next release.
- Reduced reminder frequency.
- Workarrounded ImageMagick GIF processing flags (Devedse).
- Fixed default process priority set to idle, even if it should be normal (RejZoR).
- Avoided m7zRepacker treating .exe files.
- Updated Leanify to 0.4.3.208 daily binaries.
- Updated ffmpeg to 3.3.4 (TPS).
- Updated ImageMagick flags (Devedse).
- Updated ImageMagick to 7.0.7.9 with HDRI support.
- Updated SQLite to 3.21.0 x86 and x64 Visual C++ 2017 custom builds.
- Updated pingo to 0.92e x86 and x64 versions.
- Tested with Windows 10 Fall Creators Update.
- Tested with wine 2 under GalliumOS 2.1 / lubuntu 16.10.
- Some minor optimizations and code cleanup.

nikkho

#122 Post by nikkho »

Sorry guys, noticed some updated plugins that were not commited, and also made ads lighter:

11.31 - 2017/11/17
- Reduced donator reminder frequency.
- Reduced ads number because now they are 728x90.
- Improved window restore on next launch when maximized.
- Improved ads viewer.
- Updated ImageMagick to 7.0.7.11 with HDRI support.
- Updated pngquant to 2.11.2.
- Updated strip to 2.29.1.

https://nikkhokkho.sourceforge.io/stati ... eOptimizer

nikkho

#123 Post by nikkho »

Since FileOptimizer 12, now in beta, user inteface is multilanguage/multilocale capabled. You can translate it to your own language. It would be nice if while testing you are able to translate it, so 12.00 final comes with some translations.

Translating it, is quite easy:
1) Execute FileOptimizer with the /SAVELANGUAGE command-line argument, like this: D:\\PROYECTOS\\FileOptimizer\\FileOptimizer64.exe /savelanguage

2) Browse all secondary windows (Options, About, Information, ...) and keep using FO for some time.

3) If everything went OK because there was write permissions on FileOptimizer folder, when you close it a file called 1033.po will be available. This file will contain all english strings that have been presented.

4) Make a copy of 1033.po, and name it as the language (LANGID) or locale (LCID) you will be translating to. You can use reference table available here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/library/wind ... 14.0).aspx

For example, if you want to translate it to "Spanish Modern Sort (ES)" name it 3082.po (3082 is 0x0C0A in decimal). If you want to translate it to "Spanish Dominican Republic (DO)" name it 7178.po (7178 is 1C0A in decimal). In the case you want to translate to a language instead of a locale, for instance to "Spanish (es)" for all countries, you should name it 10.po (10 is 0A in decimal).

5) Translate the contents of the copied PO file. It is a text file where for each msgid containing the original english text, you have an empty msgstr with the translation. You can use any text editor like notepad, or dedicated PO utilities, even if they are cloud based (Online PO Editor).

6) When finished, put your new PO file together with FileOptimizer32.exe or FileOptimizer64.exe. If you current system locale is set to the primary language or locale you translated to, FileOptimizer will read it, and translate all the texts according to your translation. Double check nothing is broken, no texts are missing, and lengths is enought to fit on all items in screen.

7) You are now done. You can erase 1033.po. Please post your translation onto https://sourceforge.net/p/nikkhokkho/di ... optimizer/ if you will it to be officially included in FileOptimizer.

webfork

#124 Post by webfork »

nikkho wrote:Added integrated ads display, since some users wanted to support FileOptimizer and do not have Paypal. You can remove if you want.
I just downloaded the 12.00.2132 beta 1 version and didn't see any ads. Is that coming soon?

nikkho

#125 Post by nikkho »

webfork wrote:
nikkho wrote:Added integrated ads display, since some users wanted to support FileOptimizer and do not have Paypal. You can remove if you want.
I just downloaded the 12.00.2132 beta 1 version and didn't see any ads. Is that coming soon?
Yes. I am trying different ads networks to get better ratios, that is why temporaly ads could not be shown.
Version 12 will be released when ready. Currently there are a couple of translation bugs to be fixed, and some users are translating it to their languages. Also there is one user working in new icons, so hope everything comes fast.

nikkho

#126 Post by nikkho »

New icons already come. See here: https://sourceforge.net/p/nikkhokkho/di ... /09609150/
French translation is ready: https://sourceforge.net/p/nikkhokkho/di ... /746b6fa6/
Already reported bugs are solved. So if nothing more is reported, once german language arribes, I will do the release.

Special

#127 Post by Special »

Those icons are much improved over the old, even though I still don't know what any of them mean at first glance. As long as there's a tool-tip though it's all good.

nikkho

#128 Post by nikkho »

Special wrote:Those icons are much improved over the old, even though I still don't know what any of them mean at first glance. As long as there's a tool-tip though it's all good.
After that, some changes in the icons have been made to make them more meaningful. Hope I could publish beta 2 in the following days.

nikkho

#129 Post by nikkho »

As advanced in previous betas, here is FileOptimizer 12, featuring a highly requested feature: multilanguage, among much other nice updates and suggestions.

12.00 - 2017/12/08
- Implemented multilanguage support via standard PO files.
- New icons. Better quality and higher resolution (Nicolas, trlkly).
- Implemented ability to read options from registry to prevent users changing them in corporate environments. It will never write in the registry nevertheless (srobert698).
- Made adding files even faster.
- Hardened buffers in update checker to avoid crashed with certain AV/firewalls (Tom B, Abdulaziz Alnasi).
- Fixed creation of process because some of them like TruePNG do not like to be started in different folders (Hacker).
- Allow reading INI options from all users if available.
- Increased disable plugin mask to 512 characters (olavrb).
- Made INI parsing stronger against errors.
- Improved uninstaller to remove also .INI and .LOG files on user profile.
- Fixed ads were loaded even if hidden (Special).
- Added -perfect to mozjpegtran (Psykauze).
- Workarrounded again ImageMagick GIF processing flags as in 11.30 because it is not yet fixed (#26 Dr. Sassafras).
- Optimized precompiled headers.
- Added spanish translation (Javier Gutiérrez Chamorro).
- Added french translation (Nicolas F., Victor Bernoni).
- Using IDE Fix Pack 6.1.1.
- Updated TruePNG to 0.6.2.4 (Mike).
- Updated pngquant to 2.11.4.
- Updated libwebp to 0.6.1 RC2.
- Updaded Tidy to 5.6.0.
- Updated pingo to 0.92k x86 and x64 versions.
- Updated to mutool 1.12 RC1.
- Updated ImageMagick to 7.0.7.13 with HDRI support.

https://nikkhokkho.sourceforge.io/stati ... eOptimizer

Special

#130 Post by Special »

Is it me or do startup times seem slower now with the latest version? I looks like all the interface takes a second to load up (appears blank white on load) whereas before it was instant and I never has this white window issue.

webfork

#131 Post by webfork »

Special wrote:Is it me or do startup times seem slower now with the latest version? I looks like all the interface takes a second to load up (appears blank white on load) whereas before it was instant and I never has this white window issue.
I didn't have any speed issues on Win7x86.

I did have some questions with this new release:

1. What's with the Miscellaneous tab? Does that just mean all other files.

2. When do the ads show up? Did you switch it to off by default with the INI edit?

nikkho

#132 Post by nikkho »

Special wrote:Is it me or do startup times seem slower now with the latest version? I looks like all the interface takes a second to load up (appears blank white on load) whereas before it was instant and I never has this white window issue.
Startup is a bit slower than 11.40, but according to my measurements not more than 10%. Reason is the localization engine. Anyway it is quite fast, in fact I rewrote it two times from scratch in order to guarantee it is simple and fast.

I even did some tests on lowend machines, a Chromebook with a Celeron N3060 running Linux and using Wine that should be slow things. Result was unnoticeable.

Regarding the miscellaneous tab, simply put the pointer over it, and a tooltip will display with the extensions affected by the misc group. This is a solution to avoid adding 20 more tabs for rarely used file types.

nikkho

#133 Post by nikkho »

BTW, yes, ads should slow down execution when they are rendered, but not startup speed. BTW no need to remove them in the INI file, there is also a GUI option called "Hide ads".

There is also a new feature that can slowdown things, even if again, unnoticeable in my tests. It is that FO can now read settings from registry if available (not write), so it is suitable to be deployed on corporate enviroments.

Would be nice if you can provide more details about startup time. Did it happened with previous betas too? Was 11.40 faster, or already had the issue?

nikkho

#134 Post by nikkho »

I have been profiling the code, and translations engine spends no more than 0,09 seconds on my machine during startup to translate everything.

nikkho

#135 Post by nikkho »

12.11 is available, I get accidentally activated the experimental multithreading option in 12.10 and does not work.