CCleaner Portable

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
TP109

Re: CCleaner Portable

#16 Post by TP109 »

Anyone else noticed how big this thing is now - 170MB? Seems it was only a fraction of that a little while ago.

SYSTEM

#17 Post by SYSTEM »

TP109 wrote:Anyone else noticed how big this thing is now - 170MB? Seems it was only a fraction of that a little while ago.
The change history shows that when Checker updated the entry to version 5.09, he changed the "size" field from 17782233 (17 megabytes) to 177856985 (170 megabytes). Looks like he accidentally inserted an additional digit, multiplying the size by ten.

I fixed the field.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

Checker

#18 Post by Checker »

SYSTEM wrote:... Looks like he accidentally inserted an additional digit ...
Sorry for that :oops:

smaragdus

Re: AAvast acquires Piriform

#20 Post by smaragdus »

JohnTHaller

Re: Avast have acquired Piriform

#21 Post by JohnTHaller »

This could mean that bundleware is coming to CCleaner. Avast uses bundleware pretty extensively and will often do something like install Chrome and make it your default if you don't uncheck a couple boxes before clicking the Update button.
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

Special

#22 Post by Special »

Bundleware is already in CCleaner, it always tries to install Google Chrome on installs.

ashghost

#23 Post by ashghost »

The download link for CCleaner is currently dead, and the portable build is not available. I spent a bunch of time testing CCleaner's installer for version 5.38, and then I found this on their forum:
https://forum.piriform.com/topic/49281- ... e-version/

I extracted the installer with 7-zip and created an empty file called "portable.dat", and it seemed to work. However, using the extracted installer version seems to generate cookies and bookmarks in my Firefox profile as soon as I run ccleaner64.exe (I see changes to cookies.sqlite and webappsstore.sqlite in Sandboxie; I didn't try to see what those changes are). I wondered if maybe Piriform got hacked again, but I downloaded the 5.37 installer from FileHippo, extracted it, and it does the same thing. Version 5.37 from the zip file does not do that.

If there's going to be a delay every time, I thought of changing the instructions to download the installer and extract, but considering the above behavior, I think not? If this is their new scheme for releases, the other way I can think of to avoid having a dead link between an initial release and the release of the portable version would be to change the download link to point to a 3rd party, like Softpedia.

webfork

#24 Post by webfork »

ashghost wrote:The download link for CCleaner is currently dead ... the other way I can think of to avoid having a dead link between an initial release and the release of the portable version would be to change the download link to point to a 3rd party, like Softpedia.
Thanks for pointing this out and looking into the problem. I'm so frustrated right now. Good idea on jumping to the Softpedia version -- I'll tackle that now.

I just sent the following message to support.
Hey your portable version is offline:

https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

lists a portable version but the resulting page:

https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds

... only lists the installer.

If you goto the old portable download page, it just sits there:

https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download/portable

I've discussed this here:

https://www.portablefreeware.com/forums ... hp?p=88595

Thanks!

Wf

Special

#25 Post by Special »

ashghost wrote: I extracted the installer with 7-zip and created an empty file called "portable.dat", and it seemed to work. However, using the extracted installer version seems to generate cookies and bookmarks in my Firefox profile as soon as I run ccleaner64.exe (I see changes to cookies.sqlite and webappsstore.sqlite in Sandboxie; I didn't try to see what those changes are). I wondered if maybe Piriform got hacked again, but I downloaded the 5.37 installer from FileHippo, extracted it, and it does the same thing. Version 5.37 from the zip file does not do that.
I didn't see any of this after testing both 5.38 and 5.37 in Sandboxie myself, they act and scan in the same exact manner.

ashghost

#26 Post by ashghost »

Special wrote:I didn't see any of this after testing both 5.38 and 5.37 in Sandboxie myself, they act and scan in the same exact manner.
Thanks! I investigated further and you're correct: the behavior does not vary based on the version, but rather whether the settings exist: if there's an empty ccleaner.ini file (or a portable.dat file and no INI), CCleaner touches the cookies.sqlite and some other files in installed Firefox and Chrome profiles on first run. Upon closing CCleaner, it saves settings to the INI file, after which it no longer modifies those files on running.

I used Database.NET to compare my cookies.sqlite file before and after, and no changes were actually made, so it doesn't seem to be sinister. After CCleaner runs, the INI file includes a list of cookies to save, so maybe on first run it scans the cookies of default browsers (and that the files get touched when read) in order to limit that list to cookies that are actually stored locally?

I verified that the hashes of CCleaner.exe and CCleaner64.exe are identical when extracted from the installer versus from the zip file. So, to deal with this lag before they publish the zip file (and the probably future eventuality that Avast will stop them from providing it), it's probably best to change the instructions to download the installer, extract, delete everything except CCleaner.exe and/or CCleaner64.exe, and create an empty ccleaner.ini file. Maybe with an explanation of why this is preferred over the zip file now.

ashghost

#27 Post by ashghost »

I edited the CCleaner download link to point to their "builds" page and included both methods to the "how to extract", with a mention of this new delay.

webfork

#28 Post by webfork »

Well they got back to me but I guess this isn't really a priority.
Thank you for your email. That is correct, currently there is no Portable version of this update available.

As soon as we have one available, we'll get it uploaded to the website so that it can be downloaded from our Builds page. This is expected to be around the same time as the Slim installer that we usually release, as well.

I apologize for any inconvenience that this causes, and in the mean time, you're welcome to download the standard Free version and install it on any home computer that you would like to use the software on.

Please feel free to pass this information on at the forum link that you listed, as well.

Please let me know if you have any other questions, I'll be happy to answer them for you!

Regards,

John Maier | Piriform Support - Tucson, AZ

Product Docs: http://www.piriform.com/docs
Help Center: http://piriform.zendesk.com
This is frustrating especially because the first thing listed in the documentation https://www.piriform.com/docs/ccleaner is an FAQ item stating that the program is in fact portable.

webfork

#29 Post by webfork »

Well the portable version is back online but ... I'm not sure I want to modify the entry everytime they have some kind of internal hiccup on that.

ashghost

#30 Post by ashghost »

Yeah, I was thinking the "download the zip, but if the zip isn't available yet download and extract the exe..." would remain as the instructions -- unless they start releasing the zip at the same time again, or stop releasing it entirely.