Applications that paste the date? [resolved]

Any other tech-related topics
webfork

Re: Applications that paste the date?

#16 Post by webfork »

Ding-A-Ling wrote:Despite its name, it doesn't just paste text: it has some versatility as a hotkey-manager. It can be used to start programs and open images.
Thanks Ding :)

starstuff

#17 Post by starstuff »

Hi webfork,

I have used AppendDate by adding it to the context menu using Open++ and yap to create multiple date format.

This will rename/add a formatted date to the filename.

The website of AppendDate is not working for me, the website is starpunch.net is down.

I found a working link on softpedia but its says version 1.0.1.0 http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Sys ... Date.shtml

Help Note
https://www.evernote.com/shard/s1/sh/e6 ... 233337086a

I have the last 1.0.2.3 and I can share it to you if you like.

dot

#18 Post by dot »

Here's an interesting small one (433KB) from donationcoder. No installation. Just an exe that creates a "TimeStamp.ini" file. I bet it's 100% portable. Created with AutoHotkey.

ttp://www.donationcoder.com/Software/Skrommel ... #TimeStamp
TimeStampScreenP.gif
TimeStampScreenP.gif (6.06 KiB) Viewed 24020 times
"Copies user defined times and dates to the Clipboard.
Features:
- Multiple user defined timestamps."

You can create (in the "TimeStamp.ini" file) any fancy format and even add the day and week count of the year.
You can include line breaks (nl = NewLine).
You can include indentation (tab).
You can include any regular text (within " ").

Disadvantage: copies the timestamp only to the clipboard and not directly in the application.

Picture of the "TimeStamp.ini"-file (click for full size):
TimeStamp.ini.png
Last edited by dot on Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

PAFuser

#19 Post by PAFuser »

https://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?q=clibor&m=
Clibor can paste date and/or time. A clipboard manager with permanent and current clipboard. Can be password protected if needed.
Example: <$CLB_HDATE>dddd, mmm d, yyyy - h:nn:ss AM/PM </CLB_HDATE>ET Sunday, Aug 13, 2017 - 10:47:08 PM ET

webfork

#20 Post by webfork »

Ding-A-Ling wrote:Last edited by Ding-A-Ling on October 16th, 2017, 10:55 am, edited 31 times in total.
Wow. Hey, you're good to just post a reply to this thread if you have updates to the program. Don't overdo it of course (maybe keep it to 2x/month) but you're welcome to call out effort on this topic.

TP109

#21 Post by TP109 »

AutoText is a versatile program that can paste dates into other applications from a popup menu. Date formats are selectable by number or by typing the first few letters of an alias. Popup date formats and alias's are configured by the user and can include any number of date formats. The popup menu is launched using a user defined hotkey. AutoText is a tiny program of 312 KB and uses about 5 MB of RAM.

Since the instructions for using it are a bit detailed, I wrote a mini-manual showing how to setup and use Autotext. It can be downloaded from the following link:

edit: file updated to correct errors and for reformatting. Updated link below:
https://www.upload.ee/files/7569677/autotext.7z.html

Old link:
https://www.upload.ee/files/7568836/autotext.7z.html

webfork

#22 Post by webfork »

Okay so this took a bit longer to resolve than I expected ... first two items I wasn't able to use:
Ding-A-Ling wrote:I've created a basic program DateWriteHKs v2.25
Would you mind posting the source? The machine I really need this on is a production device and I need to make sure any programs I run are either something that's got a VT signature or I can actually look at the code for.
PAFuser wrote:Clibor can paste date and/or time.
I know it's been a while since you posted but I had trouble getting Clibor to do what you describe. How do you get that entered and how do you execute it?
Last edited by webfork on Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: (fixing quote attribution)

webfork

Re: Applications that paste the date? [resolved]

#23 Post by webfork »

I finally resolved this one using Ding's suggested method.

Steps:
  • 1. Download and launch the QuickTextPaste program as described in the entry
    2. Select any entry and change out whatever data with

Code: Select all

%YYYY%-%MM%-%DD%

3. I set the Menu-Text to "Today's Date" and changed the shortcut to Left Windows Key + D and clicked Add
Works with file names?

The big test was that it worked to date-stamp files, which was something I thought would be especially difficult. This trick worked great:
It was sort of a zen moment when I finally got it to work. Like the clouds parted and the sun came out. :)

Why this method?

I know there were many tools suggested but for some reason I couldn't let go of one of my favorite programs (Ditto) for clipboard management. Therefore an accessory program that uses under 4 megs was definitely ideal. I'm a big fan of the development by the SoftwareOK author so, after some messing about on the website, I found the settings to resolve this issue using QuickTextPaste.

Reference
Note that I've had some issues with this program in Win10x64 accessing the option and info menus, but so far that's not been an issue.

---

I still have other programs to test but for now I'm marking this thread as resolved. Thanks again for everyone's suggestions and ideas. This is going to save me a lot of time and annoyance.

webfork

#24 Post by webfork »

Ding-A-Ling wrote:I'm not entirely sure that I get your trick nor am I sure what you actually want with the file-renaming.
Essentially:

1. Click on a file and either click again or press F2 to rename
2. Press the hotkey to enter the date
3. Date enters into the string (as in the screenshot)

Some tools I've tested wouldn't do that usually because they pop up some kind of other window that pulls focus out of a rename sequence.
Ding-A-Ling wrote:small AutoIt program that I created, AddDateToFilename, if its shortcut were added to the SendTo menu.
Also very cool. Are you posting these tools somewhere? Do you have a website with all your software?
Ding-A-Ling wrote:I did not mention Clibor: that was smaragdus.
True. I've updated my post.
Ding-A-Ling wrote:I'm prepared to post it with the understanding that, if a derivative version is created and released, I am given a quick acknowledgement within it.
That sounds like the MIT license: https://opensource.org/licenses/MIT

TP109

#25 Post by TP109 »

Not sure if it was mentioned yet, but TyperTask can insert dates using the following key codes:
{{yyyy}} = year, 4-digit
{{yy}} = year, 2-digit
{{mm}} = month
{{dd}} = day of month
{{hh}} = hour
{{uu}} = minute

For instance, ~date={{mm}}-{{dd}}-{{yyyy}}, would insert the current date using the tilde key (~) and "date". It works for renaming files or folders too.

Typertask is very lightweight and fast launching, using less than 500K of RAM while active in the background.

webfork

#26 Post by webfork »

TP109 wrote:Typertask is very lightweight and fast launching, using less than 500K of RAM while active in the background.
That's impressive. Thanks for the suggestion.