winLAME Portable Edition

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
griffithsdj

winLAME Portable Edition

#1 Post by griffithsdj »

As has been pointed out, the version of winLAME you have posted is not portable in the strictest sense. Well this version is! It leaves absolutely no traces on the end user's machine.

usdcs

#2 Post by usdcs »

... and there are no traces to a link to this product's web site, either!

If you go to the trouble of posting a submission, could you at least include a link to the site, so we don't have to search for it ourselves?

Dan

Andrew Lee

#3 Post by Andrew Lee »

This message and a few others point to the apps listed under a website in an earlier message.

I actually intended to look at the apps there but couldn't find time to do so.

Anyhow, I have added a link to winLAMEPE under the entry for winLAME, since the files in the original distribution are still required to make the program work.

Midas

Re: winLAME Portable Edition

#4 Post by Midas »

For lack of a better option, I made the present one the official forum topic for Winlame (https://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=58).

webfork

#5 Post by webfork »

Midas wrote:For lack of a better option, I made the present one the official forum topic for Winlame (https://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=58).
Thanks for that

billon

#6 Post by billon »

https://winlame.sourceforge.io/
2017-12-21 - winLAME 2017 release

Today I released the version winLAME 2017 release. This is the final winLAME 2017 version.
Now uses QT. XP support dropped.
There are setup package provided as a Windows Installer .msi file, portable edition in PortableApps.com format and standalone zip archive.
All that needs new testings

Midas

#7 Post by Midas »

I tested winLAME PAF download, which silently failed to launch.

When I looked at program folder, I found a 'vcredist_x86_vc141.exe' file. This is the MS "Visual C++ 2017 Redistributable (x86) -- 14.12.25810". After I installed it, winLAME started as expected.

In this form, winLAME is rightfully portable -- i.e., settings written to 'HKCU\Software\winLAME' get exported to the 'Data' folder upon program closure.

Notwithstanding, winLAME's PAF splash screen is mildly unsettling...
winLAME now sports three UI modes, "Modern" (as in Ribbon), "Menu Band", and "Classic", respectively shown below.

webfork

#8 Post by webfork »

Midas wrote:In this form, winLAME is rightfully portable -- i.e., settings written to 'HKCU\Software\winLAME' get exported to the 'Data' folder upon program closure.
Thanks for checking.
Midas wrote:Notwithstanding, winLAME's PAF splash screen is mildly unsettling...
Yeah that's not great.
Midas wrote:winLAME now sports three UI modes, "Modern" (as in Ribbon), "Menu Band", and "Classic", respectively shown below
Nice. I know a lot of people are really sour on the whole ribbon thing and I just like the Classic one because it sort of reminds me of the Winamp days.

JohnTHaller

#9 Post by JohnTHaller »

The splash screen was probably accidentally left in the PortableApps.com Template that this was built from. Once you download the app, you can delete the file App\AppInfo\Launcher\splash.jpg to remove it.
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

billon

#10 Post by billon »

So, what to do with the entry? Change to PortableApps variant? Or standalone zip archive can be used? Is it stealth? (I suppose not, because why is there PortableApps package)
What about Visual C++ 2017? Just note it in dependencies?

Midas

#11 Post by Midas »

billon wrote:Or standalone zip archive can be used? Is it stealth? (I suppose not, because why is there PortableApps package)
  • Standalone winLAME will write its settings to the registry (see my previous post), so double no here.
billon wrote:What about Visual C++ 2017? Just note it in dependencies?
  • I should hope so. For the time being, winLAME PAF is the only portable, so yes, that is clearly the way to go... :|

JohnTHaller

#12 Post by JohnTHaller »

I dropped the publisher an updated version that bundles the VC runtimes, removes the splash, adjusts paths, and a few more touch ups. Hopefully it will be updated.
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

webfork

#13 Post by webfork »

midas wrote:
billon wrote:What about Visual C++ 2017? Just note it in dependencies?
  • I should hope so. For the time being, winLAME PAF is the only portable, so yes, that is clearly the way to go... :|
I'll update the entry. Thanks everyone for keeping on top of this. EDIT: Done. Also added a bit more about new features.

Old instructions for reference:

Code: Select all

[list=1]
[*]Download the installer and extract using [url=http://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=641]Universal Extractor[/url] to a folder of your choice
[*]The program files are located in the [i]winLAME[/i] subfolder
[*]Launch [i]winLAME.exe[/i]
[/list]

webfork

#14 Post by webfork »

I'm testing this program on a 32-bit system and the main program (not the PAF) won't launch. Is this 64-bit only?

webfork

#15 Post by webfork »

Also thanks to @billon for some of the quick and improved edits to the entry. Much better.