X-Mind is a mind-mapping program with a variety of available diagramming tools for flowcharts, organizational charts, timelines, and more. It can be used for brain storming, illustrating or categorizing ideas, note taking, conceptualizing, and more. It supports drag-and-drop of elements, export to other formats, and is compatible with most other mind-mapping programs.
The download is cross platform, functional in OS X and Linux. Some advanced functions are restricted to the pro version but can be removed via Edit - Preferences - XMind Pro and checking "Hide Plus/Pro features".
||WinXP / Vista / Win7 / Win8 / Win10
|Writes settings to:
Eclipse Public License 1.0
|How to extract:
- Download the ZIP package and extract to a folder of your choice
- Launch \XMind_Windows\xmind.exe
- Run "XMind_Windows\Associate_XMind_File.bat" to associate the program with .xmind files. (This is not portable and must be run on each machine.)
- To save space, if you are sure you'll have Java installed on any machine you use, you can delete the XMind_Windows\JRE folder (thanks mc)
- If not planning to run on other operating systems, delete XMind_Linux, XMind_Linux_64bit, and XMind_Mac_OS_X
- XMind Cloud.
- New Share Dialog.
- 60,000+ Pretty Icons.
- Brand New Vector Markers (SVG).
- Colorful sheet tabs.
- More "Multi Branch Colors" options.
- Copy/Paste Topics Optimization.
- Rename sheet interaction optimization.
- Group themes.
- Add "All" option in droplist menu of Theme Editor dialog.
- Print Dialog Optimization.
- New Notification UI.
- Add checkbox option to dictionaries in Spelling settings.
- Many other improvements.