Jarte is a word processor that uses Window's built-in word processing engine while adding many features missing in WordPad. It supports text files, RTF, DOC and DOCX file formats. Features include tabbed document interface, spell check, clipboard manager, bookmark support, visual header/footer designer, multi-level undo/redo etc.
||WinXP / Vista / Win7 / Win8
|Writes settings to:
||Partial. Supports Unicode in documents, but cannot handle Unicode filenames.
|How to extract:
Download the ZIP package and extract to a folder of your choice. Launch Jarte.exe.
New Features and Enhancements:
- Windows 8: Jarte is now optimized for touch screen use. This includes the ability to scroll documents with finger swipes, zoom using the pinch gesture, and position the text cursor with your finger.
- Jarte provides a new page view mode that displays the left and right page margins as well as the paper width in the editing pane. Page view mode is activated by default if Word Wrap is set to Wrap to Page. The new page view mode can be disabled by using advanced setting Page View.
- The spell check dictionary choice is now assigned to each individual document, rather than being a global setting (although you can still designate the default spell check dictionary to be used for new documents). This is useful for people who regularly edit documents of different languages.
- Jarte Plus: Project files can now be used to automatically open hyperlinks to PDF documents and web pages, not just files.
- The tabs bar now automatically abbreviates the file name captions in the tabs as necessary in order to allow all tabs to be displayed in the available tabs bar width. This helps avoid the need to scroll through the available tabs when many documents are open at once. This behavior can be disabled via advanced setting Abbreviate Captions.
- Windows 8: Jarte can now assign hyperlinks to images.
- Jarte now automatically checks for updates to the program. This feature can be disabled via the Automatically Check for Updates option.
- The color choice for the default font color is no longer limited to a selection of predefined colors. A custom color can now be chosen as the default font color by going to Font > Font Options > Set Default Font Colors.
- A new option at Font > Font Options > Set Default Font Colors > Print in Black causes Jarte to always print documents using black text regardless of the actual text color(s) in the document.
- Pressing the Control key while selecting a folder from the Favorite Files menu or the Recent Files menu will now cause a Windows Explorer window to open to that folder.
- Jarte Plus: New advanced setting Default Printer Name allows Jarte to default to a different printer than the designated Windows default printer.
- New advanced setting Default to Arabic Outline allows the Auto Outline feature to default to the Arabic numbering scheme, rather than the Roman numbering scheme.
- The Stay on Top option is now available as a command that can be assigned to a shortcut key or Quick Bar button.
- If the Use System Tray Icon option is set then Jarte now minimizes to the system tray when the Close button in the program's title bar is clicked, rather than closing. This is done to be consistent with the behavior of other programs that minimize to the system tray. The behavior can be disabled via advanced setting Minimize On Close To Tray.
- Pressing Shift+Tab while the text cursor is at the beginning of a paragraph in an auto outline will now cause the paragraph to unindent to the parent outline level (i.e., the same behavior as the Backspace key).
- The "Format Brush (continuous)" command now functions as a toggle button when assigned as a Quick Bar button.
- The Screen Capture feature now fully supports multi-monitor systems.
- Jarte now does a better job of restoring the appropriate program window size and position when it finds itself starting on a screen with a different resolution than the screen it was running on in its previous session (for example, when running Jarte from a flash drive on different computers).
- Other minor enhancements.
- The Jarte Plus upgrade file did not work properly while in screen reader mode.
- Jarte did not always automatically enter screen reader mode when the Window-Eyes screen reader program was running.
- If a Jarte project file was drag-and-dropped on Jarte then its file hyperlinks would not automatically be opened. Note that issue was only resolved for Jarte running on Windows 8 and above.
- Table navigation via the tab key was not being allowed for read-only documents.
- There were scenarios where rich text clips in the Clip List were being behaving as if they were plain clips.
- The Insert Page Break command was broken for Windows 8.
- Page breaks were not being displayed correctly next to hard page breaks in Windows 8.
- Undoing a sort of a large number of lines would fail leaving the lines neither sorted nor back in their original positions. This issue is completely resolved in Windows 8 and above. For Windows 7 and below you should increase the value of new advanced setting Undo Limit if you expect the need to undo table sorts.
- The Auto Capitalize feature would capitalize words beginning with the letter "i" if the user backspaced over the second character following the "i".
- Auto Capitalize did not capitalize sentences beginning with the letter "i" if the "i" was preceded by a quote mark.
- The Auto Capitalize feature always capitalized the word "I". The word "I" is now auto capitalized only if English is the currently selected spelling dictionary.
- Auto Outline numbering did not work properly in Windows 8.
- The Unmark All Favorite Fonts command did not work properly.
- The choice of initial side tool panel designated by advanced setting Start Tool Panel was ignored if the side tool panel was initially hidden when Jarte started.
- Clicking inside of a large table would cause scrolling to jump in certain scenarios.
- If advanced setting Simple Click Hyperlinks was enabled then selecting text would cause a hyperlink to activate if the mouse button was released over a hyperlink during the selection.
- If a file on a USB drive was accessed via the Open or Save file dialog then a safe eject could not be performed on the drive until Jarte was closed, even if the file was no longer open in Jarte.
- There was a scenario that would cause the Undo buffer to be cleared when the Backspace key was pressed while the text caret was at the beginning of a bulleted paragraph.
- If a USB drive was disconnected while Jarte was editing a file on the drive, and then an attempt was made to save changes to that file, Jarte would crash.
- Attempting to open multiple files selected in Windows Explorer by right clicking and choosing Open did not always result in all of the files being opened in Jarte.
- Use of Close and Delete did not result in an "Are you sure?" prompt from Jarte before deleting when Jarte was running on Windows 8.
- The Open Hyperlink selection in the context menu did not work in some scenarios.
- Jarte became unstable if the spelling dictionary language was changed many times in a single session.
- Other minor fixes.