UltraEdit and PSPad

Discuss anything related to portable commercial apps here.
Yucca

UltraEdit and PSPad

#1 Post by Yucca »

The recent entry for PSPad in the database contains the following statement:
I was a great fan of UltraEdit all along, but I hate reconfiguring the settings every time I run it on a new machine.
This seems to be misleading and erroneous. As has been posted on these forums by someone else before, UltraEdit can be used portably and allows the use of an ini file in the program directory.

PSPad may be a great program, but UltraEdit should also be given its due. Of course, UltraEdit is payware, but that's a different issue.

By the way, the new version of UltraEdit, 12.20, released this week adds the capability to connect with servers via SSH/SFTP. For simple tasks, I tend to use EditPad Lite in portable mode, but UltraEdit is still the workhorse.

Yucca

Yucca

#2 Post by Yucca »

I just discovered that this same issue was raised earlier in the discussion at http://portablefreeware.com/forums/view ... =ultraedit.

Nevertheless, the error about UltraEdit remains in the synopsis of PSPad in the database.

Andrew or Fluffly, can we get this corrected or clarified?

Thanks.

Yucca

Andrew Lee

#3 Post by Andrew Lee »

OK OK, I have edited PSPad's synopsis and removed the UltraEdit-bashing bits. My apologies to all you UltraEdit fans out there.

I used to be a great fan of UltraEdit and used it for 3 to 4 years. After I switched to PSPad, I never looked back.

Yucca

#4 Post by Yucca »

Andrew,

Thanks for correcting the entry. I agree that UltraEdit is no longer the only game in town -- as it was a few years ago. In fact, I doubt I will renew my license/maintenance contract to UltraEdit when it expires next year, because there are other solutions now available that meet my needs and are both free and portable.

My point, as I'm sure you understand, was not to be a cheerleader for UltraEdit but rather to just ask that the entry be factually correct.

Thanks for correcting this.

Yucca

Tecno

#5 Post by Tecno »

What programming language do you use UltraEdit for ?

Can you comment on positive vs. negative in a UltraEdit vs. PSPad vs. Notepad++ ?

Thanks