POP Peeper

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
falrob

POP Peeper

#1 Post by falrob »

Pop Peeper is an excellent email notifier with lots of features and is portable: it doesn't use the registry. Check it out at www.poppeeper.com

dot

#2 Post by dot »

Looks like a real nice program that I will probably keep. Thanks for mentioning it. But:

Checking the output by RegShot, I got:

Keys added:4
Values added:21
Values modified: 3
Files [attributes?] modified: 3
Total changes: 31

Well, about half of those are made by other programs that registered the presence of the new program. But it should perhaps not be used on a foreign computer, even if it can be made to run without installation.

dot

#3 Post by dot »

Found out, additionally: PopPeeper also writes a folder called "Pop Peeper" in the "Program Data" Folder, where it keeps the Outbox and Sentbox (seems, it writes it only when you first use the "send" or "reply" feature). So, while the program is just great and a keeper, it's not really fit to be considered portable.

4sydney

#4 Post by 4sydney »

hi all !!

i'm a huge fan of poppeeper and work with it as my default mail program

i didn't check it with tools like regshot but
i just "uniextract" the .exe file
changed the "storage data path" in the options
and thats it

so the rep "sent" and "outbox" are in the same directory
and you just need to unzip the plugin dll there

i never brought it on another computer
but i think with these parameters it could be okay

see by yourself 8)

p.s:
forgive my bad english
:?

falrob

#5 Post by falrob »

During installation I selected the option to directly install it on my USB-stick including the poppeeper.ini file which holds all settings and all the folders. There's no 'c:\program files\pop peeper'-folder on my computer

dot

#6 Post by dot »

Ah, took some time till I found the Data Path. You have to tick in the "General" tab the "Enable Advanced Options" and two new tabs appear.

But, as you can set only the absolute path, I think, on a foreign computer, on a USB stick, where Pop Peeper would have a different drive letter mostly, it would probably write the folder it needs on the host computer, at the location set in the options.

Also, I can't see it using any .ini file (except the one for the skins). Don't want to uninstall it now again after I've set up all the accounts and reinstall it on a USB stick.

I don't think, it's fit to be considered portable (yet). Should be Andrew's or Fluffy's turn now to check out and assess the program! :-)

falrob

#7 Post by falrob »

Dot: Pop Peeper uses relative paths, check this: http://www.poppeeper.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=856

poppeeper.ini (settings) will be on the USB stick if you choose to install the program there, with all the data :)

dot

#8 Post by dot »

Thanks for that link, falrob! That's good news! Gotta follow those instructions. I guess, I'll just have to uninstall Pop Peeper, install it on a USB and set it up anew. (I don't use one of those clients that allow easy import of accounts) But the program is worth any effort ;-)

bugmenot

#9 Post by bugmenot »

Hi
I've been using POPPeeper for some time now and it works great on USB.
Some considerations:
1) The *truly* portable version is version 3 (currently in beta RC4). As far as I see, the "download" page still takes you to download version 2.
In fact, I never used version 2 since I was waiting (long time) for version 3 and the promised .ini usage instead of registry. You can get the beta version 3 in the Forums at: http://www.poppeeper.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=901

2) You can call an .ini file from the command line, using the -ini <path> option. I set up PStart accordingly in order to call my .ini settings, like this: (In "Command line parameters" field)

Code: Select all

-ini "%pdrive%\PortableApps\Data\POP Peeper\poppeeper.ini"
In PStart, %pdrive% stands for the current drive letter the USB device has.

3) The "Data path" field in Poppeeper's Options->Set options->Storage tab accepts relative paths, for example mine is:

..\..\Data\POP Peeper
Note: I have setup my USB stick to have the programs separated from the data, that's why I had to specify such path. My layout is the following:

\PortableApps
    \Apps\
        \Poppeeper\  <--- here's the application
        \other apps
    \Data
        \Poppeeper\   <--- here's my ini
        \other apps
In short, Poppeeper is completely portable, with no entries in the registry.

As a side note, it's *very* useful to include in your USB stick Mini-Relay:
http://portablefreeware.com/?id=706
Which is a portable SMTP server and lets me send mails from Poppeeper from wherever I may roam ;-) That is, of course, if you cannot use the STMP servers supplied by tou email provider.

dot

#10 Post by dot »

That has cleared up a few things, bugmenot (I had the old version). That version 3 of this fine program SHOULD make it in the database, maybe with a reference to the helpful links here or on the POP Peeper forum, regarding the (solved) issue of portability. Andrew and Fluffy are keeping strangely quiet all the time.... they must be busy testing. ;-)

Andrew Lee

#11 Post by Andrew Lee »

OK, I have added POP Peeper V3 Beta to the datbase.

I was playing with V2 last night, but had some trouble configuring it for portability. Getting V3 to work was much easier. :D

dot

#12 Post by dot »

I had to uninstall version 2 and set up version 3 completely anew, as I couldn't make it accept the account settings of the older version. But the program was worth the bit of trouble. I just love it.

Ennovy

POP Peeper 3.3.1

#13 Post by Ennovy »

The database needs an update for POP Peeper:
http://www.portablefreeware.com/?q=pop+peeper&m=Search
Version 3.3.1 is the current version :wink:

Here is what's new: http://www.poppeeper.com/whatsnew.php

Ennovy

#14 Post by Ennovy »

Pop Peeper 3.4 has been released on january 22

Have a nice day :wink:

ChemZ

Re: POP Peeper 3.3.1

#15 Post by ChemZ »

Keep your POP Peeper plugins up-to-date!

Current plugin version:

WebMail v3.7.0.11 (Aug 02, 2011) - Hotmail: Some Hotmail accounts reported an error, Yahoo: Several minor/misc fixes
SSL v1.0.0.4 (v1.0.0d OpenSSL build)