How to delay programs at start up?

Any other tech-related topics
donald

How to delay programs at start up?

#1 Post by donald »

Almost everyone has had the problem of a computer swamped with programs someone is unwilling to part with, but which they do not use.

I have been looking into ways to stall or delay the start of some of these programs, I have not found anything obvious to me on Portablefreeware though it is likely something is there I just did not find it.

I have been looking at a program called StartDelay it is supposed to control the boot order of programs, allowing the delay of some applications to speedup boot time and reduce the delay for use of the PC.

Unfortunately That program is completely non portable, it becomes a program launcher during the boot up.

PLEASE anyone with a portable program to do this (delay a programs launch) post it here. THANKS

webfork

Re: How to delay programs at start up?

#2 Post by webfork »

I'd use Pstart or Hotkeyz and set the items to start up under an unusual hot key combination that won't interfere with any others. For example WIN+CTRL+ALT+F1.

Just open the Pstart Panel, right click an item, select Edit, choose the Advanced tab, and check the "Run file when hotkey is pressed."

In testing, Pstart wouldn't let me start more than one program with a key combo, so you'd need to make it F2, F3, F4. Hotkeyz might be more amenable to this but I don't have it on this system to try.

Alternately, I'd try one of the many scheduling tools on the site like Marxio to do some timing-based program starts.

Cornflower

#3 Post by Cornflower »

I also use PStart, but I use that key combo to run a batch file, and inside the batch file I have the items that I want to start up, delays, etc.

donald

#4 Post by donald »

First thanks for your suggestions.
Sorry If I was not clear before but ...

I am referencing a need to speed up a friends computer, he and his wife are very very limited in knowledge of computers and how to use programs etc.

I still have to program their VCR for them.
The problem in depth is that my friend and his wife share the computer and she has loaded it down with a lot of generally useless software that I am not allowed to uninstall.

I would like to either slow the start of certain programs in all profiles or not allow some to start in a specific profile.

The problem is that the programs were installed on a general Administrator profile and both of the other named profiles receive all permissions from that profile. Per the XP systems tool tips they are using I can not remove permissions from one profile without removing them from the original profile.
I would like to just do something that will not require an additional program to be installed permanently, I think if anything went wrong they would be very upset, and they would likely break the functionality of a new and unfamiliar program quite quickly.
If anyone can come up with an Idea that would allow this I would be very happy.

tproli

#5 Post by tproli »

May be an overkill to you, but check my CMG:

http://sites.google.com/site/assoxhome/addons

It works best with Assox but can be used also as a standalone application. Before using, you have to make shortcuts in a directory and then you can use CMG to launch them. Read the readme to know the available switches.

Onesimus Prime

#6 Post by Onesimus Prime »

Have you looked at WinPatrol? I haven't tried this feature personally, but according to http://www.winpatrol.com/compare.html the free version (but unfortunately not the portable version) can "Delay Auto-Startup programs for quick bootup." And if you have any luck getting this to work with the portable version too, I'd be interested in hearing about it! :-) Perhaps you could try to use RegShot or RegFromApp to see how the delay is done, then imitate it; or perhaps (depending on how the delay is accomplished) you wouldn't need to leave the program installed.

joby_toss

#7 Post by joby_toss »

Onesimus Prime wrote:Have you looked at WinPatrol? I haven't tried this feature personally, but according to http://www.winpatrol.com/compare.html the free version (but unfortunately not the portable version) can "Delay Auto-Startup programs for quick bootup." And if you have any luck getting this to work with the portable version too, I'd be interested in hearing about it! :-) Perhaps you could try to use RegShot or RegFromApp to see how the delay is done, then imitate it; or perhaps (depending on how the delay is accomplished) you wouldn't need to leave the program installed.
'Done a quick test:
-Winpatrol v17.0.2010.0 full (I stole it for '99 cents), not Winpatroltogo (does not support delayed start);
-JauntePE launcher;
-winxpprosp3x86.
-I added a program (FreeOTFE Explorer) to the "Delayed Start" menu with a standard 30 seconds delay time;
-guess what? it gets the job done! :)

The actual delay process is done by writing/reading the "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\BillP Studios\WinPatrol\Delay\Time" reg key, or "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\BillP Studios\WinPatrol\Delay\Time" for all users.

Conclusion: Winpatrol's delay time option works great (and JauntePE takes care of portability), but you have to add it to the system startup items (to automate the process), or manually start Winpatrol.

Note: I'm actually using PowerPro for this task, but it's not very portable.

webfork

#8 Post by webfork »

Old thread update:

Oolauncher would appear to solve some of the issues mentioned at the beginning:
http://www.freewaregenius.com/2011/06/1 ... delay-etc/

NickR

#9 Post by NickR »

This may not be appropriate for donald's problem but fits the topic title and may help others looking here

A simple batch file called from STARTUP which calls another minimised bat file which sleeps and launches as required

Example - launches notepad after 30 second delay

Code: Select all

Delayed_Max.bat
@start /min "Delayed Launches" "Delayed_Min.bat"
exit

Delayed_Min.bat
ping 127.0.0.1 -n 31 >nul
start Notepad.exe
exit
Smallprint: First bat flashes up and exits ; Second bat : Dont echo_off as useful diagnostics when the user phones you up. In fact may want to add some time and status echoes to help; also there are variations on the ping which may be preferred or suit a mc set-up; also there is a recursive technique using just one batfile - but KISS for user phone support

webfork

#10 Post by webfork »

NickR wrote:This may not be appropriate for donald's problem but fits the topic title and may help others looking here
I have no doubt I'll end up using that at some point. Thanks NickR.

bankr

#11 Post by bankr »

NickR's code is very interesting )))
I can suggest a few free programs:
Delayed Start - manhunter.ru/releases/80_delayed_start_1_3.html
Delayer - cottonwoodsw.com/dlyrsumm.html
Lacuna Launcher - appsapps.info/lacunalauncher.php
Oolauncher - oolauncher.deskangel.com

spicydog

#12 Post by spicydog »

bankr wrote:NickR's code is very interesting )))
I can suggest a few free programs:
Delayed Start - manhunter.ru/releases/80_delayed_start_1_3.html
Delayer - cottonwoodsw.com/dlyrsumm.html
Lacuna Launcher - appsapps.info/lacunalauncher.php
Oolauncher - oolauncher.deskangel.com
Hi bankr,

I wanted to take a look (just out of curiosity) at Delayed Start but apparently something on the site (manhunter.ru/releases etc.) does not seem to be "digested" by ESET and I could not download the .zip file :(

"Delayed Start" seems to be a (sort of) "Delayer" remake, (if you tried it) is that so?

Were you also getting warnings from your anti virus?

"Startup Delayer" could be another interesting app to look at. I seem to recall the free version to be more than sufficiently configurable - even though it can be launched once extracted I doubt it would fall into the "portable" category.

Read more here: http://www.r2.com.au/page/products/show/startdelay

spicydog

#13 Post by spicydog »

donald wrote:...I have been looking at a program called StartDelay it is supposed to control the boot order of programs, allowing the delay of some applications to speedup boot time and reduce the delay for use of the PC.

Unfortunately That program is completely non portable, it becomes a program launcher during the boot up...
Hi Donald,

I took a look at StartDelay v.1.0.0.3 (by Kana Solution) and I must say that I like it ;)

You said that StartDelay is not portable but IMHO that that is not entirely true since all the application does is to add a shortcut (to the .ini file created in the same folder where StartDelay.exe is located) in startup.

I guess that a shortcut in the startup folder is something that your friends can live with (since -according to your post ref. their computer skills- they will probably even never know about it) and in any case I am unaware of another way that would add programs (and relative time delay) to the system startup WITHOUT adding (at least) a shortcut in startup.

Running StartDelay on a clean system and going briefly through the Regshot report I actually wonder why this fine application is not in the PF.com database (obviously with the usual "Due to the nature of...bla-bla" preface) :shock:

In view of the fact that StartDelay does not require any user interaction (so you can easily set it up for your friends without them having to be involved) if I were you I would stick to that simple and minimalistic utility... Life is complicated enough, why make it even more complicated? :mrgreen:

bankr

#14 Post by bankr »

Hi spicydog,

Delayed Start author is aware about an issue with ESET, but he can do nothing about it.
In fact, his comments show that he wouldn't do anything even if he could ))
I have to agree with him here, because AV software become more bloated and disturbing then helpful. In addition, on-the-fly file checking usually adds significant load to the processor. A lot of IT people and others who know something about computing here (in Russia) tend to drop out anty-viruses at all. BTW I got rid NOD32 a couple years ago and didn't notice any virus on my machine since then. Of course, it takes some understanding of what you are doing )) Good FW, sandboxing, portable apps and Opera always make me happy.

As of "Delayer remake", unfortunately I can't say anything yet, because I hadn't enough time to try all that soft.
I've started to research for delayer only some day ago (so I found this topic).
Promise I'll write here what my choice will be ))

Sorry for my english - it could be not so perfect )))

Good luck

spicydog

#15 Post by spicydog »

bankr wrote:Hi spicydog,

Delayed Start author is aware about an issue with ESET, but he can do nothing about it.
In fact, his comments show that he wouldn't do anything even if he could ))
I have to agree with him here, because AV software become more bloated and disturbing then helpful...

Hi bankr,

I know and in principle I don't disagree, in fact I would be very happy to be able to read his blog and understand more about what you referring to but unfortunately running Google translator on that page does not produce any result.

Could you kindly summarize (or copy and paste the section that you are talking about) so that I can get your/his point?