How to identify .dll files version (x86 or x64)

Ask other users about problems encountered with portable apps or help by posting solutions to existing problems.
joby_toss

How to identify .dll files version (x86 or x64)

#1 Post by joby_toss »

Sometimes when I use UniversalExtractor on some executables I get files named "file,1.dll" and "file,2.dll" (usually the shell extension of that program). How do I know which is the 32bit and which is the 64bit version? Is there a tool to help me identify that? For now I have to install that program using Sandboxie but this is a little time consuming.
For example BytescoutWatermarkingLite - freeware.
I use WinXpProSp3x86.

Checker

Re: How to identify .dll files version (x86 or x64)

#2 Post by Checker »

Maybe this will help you.

m^(2)

#3 Post by m^(2) »

Checker's link is wrong. It's irrelevant what OS you use, 32 bit programs load 32 bit dlls, analogically 64 bit ones load 64 bit dlls. Besides, there might be various reasons for dll not loading.
Each dll (and exe) identifies it's target machine in the header, it's usually 486 or 586 for 32 bit ones and AMD64 for 64 bits. Technically, it's stored in FileHeader->Machine.
How to see it w/out coding your own tool?
I use FileInfo - a Total Commander plugin. You don't have to buy TC to use it, TC's file browser (called Lister) is freeware. There are also some other viewers that use TC plugins. And there are likely other tools that give such information.

joby_toss

#4 Post by joby_toss »

Thank you guys!

I don't use Lister but I do use UniversalViewer (with FreeCommander) and I have the Fileinfo Lister plugin ... just didn't cross my head to use it on .dlls (for this purpose) :oops:

Here are the results for my previous example:

firetom

#5 Post by firetom »

you won't be able to load a 32bits dll files on 64bits system just try your dll file, by the way there's a bunch of 32bits dll files here :)

[Moderator note: Agree with m^(2)'s statement below. Link has been removed and user banned.]

m^(2)

#6 Post by m^(2) »

firetom wrote:you won't be able to load a 32bits dll files on 64bits system just try your dll file, by the way there's a bunch of 32bits dll files here :)
Sounds like spam.
And the info is incorrect anyway.