Podcatcher

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
NMC

Podcatcher

#1 Post by NMC »

Just stumbled upon this podcatcher which looks very interesting. - Roberts Podcatcher.

http://home.comcast.net/~rschoolf/podcatcher/index.html

I have not checked it for compliance regards portability but it sounds like it is portable.
I hope someone finds this useful.
Regards NMC

Cornflower

Re: Podcatcher

#2 Post by Cornflower »

The only registry keys that I see created are

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap
and
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Hardware Profiles\0002\Software\Microsoft\windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings

and I suspect that this is because of what any RSS program needs to do. I would accept this myself as portable but not stealth.

donald

Re: Podcatcher

#3 Post by donald »

A question to the program author and anyone else who can answer it.
Will the firefox trick mentioned on your webpage work portably in spite of changing drive letters with portable firefox?

The trick I am talking about is listed on the applications website http://home.comcast.net/~rschoolf/podcatcher/index.html

Here is a quote from the site:
You can subscribe to a feed from Firefox, by clicking on one. To do so, browse to (by clicking on the link) a Podcast RSS feed using Firefox. Click on the 'Subscribe to this feed using' dropdown menu, and select 'Choose Application'. Browse to the directory where you installed Robert's Podcatcher, and select the 'Robert's_Podcatcher.exe' file. Your feed will then be added to your OPML subscription file every time you click on an orange feed icon.