File Types

Ask other users about problems encountered with portable apps or help by posting solutions to existing problems.
khs10uk

File Types

#1 Post by khs10uk »

I have saved my apps to an SD card on my portable Eee PC, which comes up as drive E:\

Using right-click/open with, I have been able to set some file types to open with some of my portable apps.

But some, it seems, refuse to be amended.

doc files are currently associated with wordpad, but if I right-click a doc file, go to open with/choose program/browse and find the app I want, when I click okay, it does not appear as the chosen option, but stays just as it was.

I can set doc files to open with AbiWord and Atantis, for instance, but not with Microsoft Office Word 2007.exe in the Office2007_ThinApp application folder. Other apps at this point in the folder structure work okay.

The Word application works okay when I open it, and choose a file to open from within the application.

Other odd thing: I successfully assocated portable Jarte to open txt files, but when I rebooted, the association was back to notepad.

It makes no difference if I do all this via My Computer/Tools/Folder Options/File Types

ashghost

#2 Post by ashghost »

It might be more reliable to right click, choose "properties", and change the file association there.

If that doesn't work, you can try FileTypesMan:

Code: Select all

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/file_types_manager.html
Or, if you don't mind .NET apps, you can try the easier-to-use Types:

Code: Select all

http://types.sourceforge.net/

khs10uk

#3 Post by khs10uk »

Many thanks!

Couldn't figure out File Types Manager, but had better luck with Types.

I copied the settings and changed paths as appropriate, using as models applications that work correctly. I can now start my applications by clicking on files displaying the correct icons.

BUT -- I have one odd side-effect. In Word 2007, when I click to get an Open box, for navigating to the file I want to open from within the program, none of the .doc or .docx files have their icons. If I opt to show all files with *.* all the other files have icons, including those that I amended to get the applications to start correctly.

I have gone over the settings, and as far as I can see, the settings for .doc and .docx mirror exactly those for .txt or .pdf which do show correct icons in the Word Open box.

I've got something wrong somewhere...

GeekyCube08

Re: File Types

#4 Post by GeekyCube08 »

That is really strange stuff, khs. Do you still have docs associated with wordpad or are they associated with Word now? If first then maybe it's still causing conflicts.

donald

Re: File Types

#5 Post by donald »

Please try Coffee by Lupo 73 a mod of the CAFE mod (search from this site),
also consider CAFE.

Please also try a launcher that will auto launch the applications like Coffee that you might want always on.

Many launchers exist in the database here and most of the really good ones will auto launch an application if that option is set.