Redirecting FS to a RAM/Memory temporary FS?

Discuss anything related to JauntePE, the utlimate utility to help you tame non-portable applications. Share your experience about the apps that work with JauntePE, and the apps that don't.
ZergFood

Redirecting FS to a RAM/Memory temporary FS?

#1 Post by ZergFood »

Here's me with yet another question for this great portablizer :)

I'm pretty sure there's no way to use a 'temporary' filesystem that is never written to disk but just to the RAM while the application needs it. So is there a way to add it? The reason for this is that there are many applications (the AS3 Personal Firewall being one example) that write to the %temp% folder (e.g: C:\Windows\Temp) prior to execution and need that file. They delete it when they are closed.

This can be redirected, of course, into a filesystem, but not in a temporary RAM/memory location. But what about read-only media (such as a CD) or a flash USB with disabled writing? It won't work (the app won't load in most cases), so is there a way to redirect it into RAMdisk or memory, just like the registry?

There are [PortableRegExclude] and the respective include in registry, so we could have something similar to Filesystems. For example the app could write its 'temp' stuff into a temporary RAMdisk and be 100% portable and not touching any media (so it'll work from a read-only media). What do you think?

EDIT: You could, for example, put something like this:

[SpecialFolders]
%temp%=:RAM

(note the ':' which is invalid in Windows Filesystems)

Gannon8

#2 Post by Gannon8 »

There could probably be a program that creates a RAM filesystem, however, it will probably not be portable, for the same reason Sandboxie isn't.

m^(2)

#3 Post by m^(2) »

Gannon8 wrote:There could probably be a program that creates a RAM filesystem, however, it will probably not be portable, for the same reason Sandboxie isn't.
JPE could do it, but it's a dangerous feature. Some programs need a lot of scratch space.

ZergFood

#4 Post by ZergFood »

Yes I know some programs need a lot of space. Maybe this should only be available to those who know what they're doing and know how much the program creates (i.e not "default"). Something similar to the registry (where you can put it temporary into memory, and scrap it) with the [PortableRegExclude] sections. :)

crownixx

#5 Post by crownixx »

There is an alternative way if you wish to run jauntePE portable application without changing its configuration, plus it give extra space for your cd. It was discuss in here

ZergFood

#6 Post by ZergFood »

Oh I wasn't aware of that thread before. I'll post there then.