HijackThis!

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
Erind

HijackThis!

#1 Post by Erind »

I'm not sure why this program wasn't listed, perhaps it's due to the fact that it requires VB6 runtime files (even though pretty much every Windows has it)

I didn't see it listed, even in the non-portable apps section and not here on the forums and I just have to ask why?

Name: HijackThis!

Synopsis: Looks at the system, registry, Internet Explorer settings, Startup crap, etc... and then allows you to remove them if it can.

Writes Settings To: Application Folder, I hope... Any registry settings? I don't think so, but I honestly don't know...

How to run: Unzip and run the executable file!

Requires: VB6 runtime. I believe you can download, unzip with Universal Extractor, and if VB6 isn't already on your system, then you should be able to get it at http://download.microsoft.com/download/ ... n60sp5.exe and put the contents in the HijackThis! directory and it should be able to run them NPs. I don't know for sure, though.

AlephX

#2 Post by AlephX »

Hi Erind!

I was checking this app to and found your submission! Unfortunately, despite the interest, this app writes (few and not important) settings in the registry. The "worse" is that the application seems to be still under development, and there are few errors, even if it does not crash and does its job.

Maybe Andrew can accept it as portable, but I guess that this program needs to be more stable.

Erind

#3 Post by Erind »

haha, yeah I submitted this a long time ago. No big deal on that. As far as the application goes, this is pretty much a de facto standard for most people when trying to clean spyware, adware, and other hijacking malware on their systems. To be honest, I've never ran it through Regshot, but I'll have to do that. For its purposes, I should think it would be accepted as portable, but before I say that, I'm going to check what all it writes out.

[Later, back in the Bat Cave]

----------------------------------
Keys added:4
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\HijackThis.exe
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\HijackThis
HKLM\SOFTWARE\TrendMicro
HKLM\SOFTWARE\TrendMicro\HijackThis

Values added:9
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\HijackThis.exe\: "C:\Documents and Settings\Art\Desktop\HiJackThis_v2\hijackthis.exe"
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\HijackThis.exe\Path: "C:\Documents and Settings\Art\Desktop\HiJackThis_v2"
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\HijackThis\DisplayName: "HijackThis 2.0.0"
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\HijackThis\UninstallString: ""C:\Documents and Settings\Art\Desktop\HiJackThis_v2\HijackThis.exe" /uninstall"
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\HijackThis\DisplayIcon: "C:\Documents and Settings\Art\Desktop\HiJackThis_v2\HijackThis.exe"
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\HijackThis\DisplayVersion: "2.0.0"
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\HijackThis\Publisher: "TrendMicro"
HKLM\SOFTWARE\TrendMicro\HijackThis\WinHeight: "8000"
HKLM\SOFTWARE\TrendMicro\HijackThis\WinWidth: "9000"

Files added:1
C:\Documents and Settings\Art\Desktop\HiJackThis_v2\hijackthis.log (unzip directory that I made)
Yeah, I see what you mean. It's also good to note that HijackThis! while still free, has been bought by TrendMicro. Given the nature of this program and it's normal use for cleaning up a PC infected with Malware, I should think it would be ok. However, that's not my decision.

Paranoid Schizophrenics shouldn't download this software in that case. :)

JohnW

HijackReader v 1.03 Beta

#4 Post by JohnW »

HijackReader is a program which reads HijackThis log files and tries to give advice on what to fix.
There are several sites which analyse Hijack logs but this program analyses the log when an internet connection has been damaged (by malware eg).

It's main features are:

Automatically reads 'HijackThis' logs
Gives advice on what to fix
Can output the report to text (txt) or web (html) format
The web report includes a link, for quick Google searching, based on the object in question
Requires no installation or DLL files. Does not write any settings to the registry or create any files, unless the user wants it to
Completely portable. Can be run from a USB-flash drive, CD, etc.
No internet connection required (unless you want to check things using the Google function)
Add your own recommendations (since version 1.02)

It is still beta ; the current version does not read the "Running processes" list. Still - very useful though.

Designed for HijackThis v1.99.1 and 2.0.0, but may work with other versions too.

Available from ...

Code: Select all

http://www.hollmen.dk/content/view/69/31/
BTW ... I notice that Hijack This is not in the PFC. I had assumed it was portable. If it is, its omission is quite extraordinary.

USB_Kx

Re: HijackReader v 1.03 Beta

#5 Post by USB_Kx »

JohnW wrote:BTW ... I notice that Hijack This is not in the PFC. I had assumed it was portable. If it is, its omission is quite extraordinary.
Have the same thoughts.

Thanks for posting this.

Lupo73

#6 Post by Lupo73 »

Someone have tried the new version 2.0.2 if it's portable or not? It seem to be smaller than the previous 2.0.0 beta release..it could have other changes..

joby_toss

#7 Post by joby_toss »

It creates several reg entries:

Code: Select all

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\TrendMicro\HijackThis
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\HijackThis

ashghost

#8 Post by ashghost »

Also, while the settings may be trivial, if you change the settings it saves them to the registry. Not only is it not stealth, it doesn't qualify for the database.

Doesn't stop me from using it as portable, though. :)

-.-

#9 Post by -.- »

there isnt really any settings to program :S

the only one is show menu at start up or show scan menu...

ashghost

#10 Post by ashghost »

-.- wrote:there isnt really any settings to program :S

the only one is show menu at start up or show scan menu...
Start it up, click the "None of the above, just start the program" button. Then click the "Config..." button. There are a handful of settings, though they are trivial, as I mentioned.

I shouldn't claim that this doesn't qualify it for the database, since Andrew has added a few apps that save trivial settings to the registry. I personally think it should be added.

Andrew Lee

HijackThis

#11 Post by Andrew Lee »

Application name: HijackThis

Website: http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US ... hijackthis

Date tested: 2009-04-21

Reason: Writes settings to registry.

guinness

Re: HijackThis

#12 Post by guinness »

This is now opensource >> http://sourceforge.net/projects/hjt/ & it's written in Visual Basic.