It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: More NirSoft Utilities
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:00 am 

Here are 3 new utilities from Mr Sofer.

1. ShellBagsView v 1.00

Each time that you open a folder in Explorer, Windows automatically save the settings of this folder into the Registry.
This utility displays the list of all folder settings saved by Windows.
For each folder, the following information is displayed: The date/time that you opened it, the entry number, display mode (Details, Icons, Tiles, and so on...), the last position of the window, and the last size of the window.

It's available from ....
Code:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shell_bags_view.html

2. PasswordFox v 1.00

PasswordFox is a small password recovery tool that allows you to view the user names and passwords stored by Mozilla Firefox Web browser.
By default, PasswordFox displays the passwords stored in your current profile, but you can easily select to watch the passwords of any other Firefox profile.
For each password entry, the following information is displayed:
Record Index, Web Site, User Name, Password, User Name Field, Password Field, and the Signons filename.

It's available from ...

Code:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/passwordfox.html

3. SocketSniff v 1.00

SocketSniff allows you to watch the Windows Sockets (WinSock) activity of the selected process.
For each created socket, the following information is displayed:
socket handle, socket type, local and remote addresses, local and remote ports, total number of send/receive bytes, and more.
You can also watch the content of each send or receive call, in Ascii mode or as Hex Dump.

There may be some special considerations when running in Vista

It's available from ...

Code:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/socket_sniffer.html

Post subject: Re: More NirSoft Utilities
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:56 am 

JohnW wrote:
2. PasswordFox v 1.00

PasswordFox is a small password recovery tool that allows you to view the user names and passwords stored by Mozilla Firefox Web browser.
By default, PasswordFox displays the passwords stored in your current profile, but you can easily select to watch the passwords of any other Firefox profile.
For each password entry, the following information is displayed:
Record Index, Web Site, User Name, Password, User Name Field, Password Field, and the Signons filename.

It's available from ...

Code:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/passwordfox.html

When I saw this I hoped it will be more comfortable than the idiotic FF dialog (Show passwords. Show passwords! Yes, show these #@#&#@+% passwords!!!)..but no. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:15 am 

what's wrong with it? i don't think it could get any simpler. i find it much better than the one inside Firefox. quicker too :)

running this was quite a revalation - i have almost 100 stored passwords! there are even a few in there from the guy who used this computer before i started working here, including a Demonoid login :)

how can i protect these? i don't like this being so freely available, but at the same time, i doubt i could remember them all!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:52 am 

garbanzo wrote:
what's wrong with it? i don't think it could get any simpler. i find it much better than the one inside Firefox. quicker too :)

running this was quite a revalation - i have almost 100 stored passwords! there are even a few in there from the guy who used this computer before i started working here, including a Demonoid login :)

how can i protect these? i don't like this being so freely available, but at the same time, i doubt i could remember them all!

-It works only when placed inside my portable Firefox directory.
-It doesn't work when Firefox is running.
-I always have to specify the profiles directory, which takes 11 clicks with the dialog or 8+2 hotkeys when I use a shortcut to find my FF and copy-paste the path.
I also have ~100 passwords, but the only thing thing that's bugging me about the default dialog is that it asks useless questions and when I want to see a password it treats me like an idiot who doesn't know what he wants. Exactly like Vista in various occasions. :roll:
I miss search, but not that much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:00 am 

garbanzo wrote:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Master_password

When I run PasswordFox on my laptop that has a master password set, it gets nothing but the website URLs.

Firefox will ask for the master password the first time each session that a stored site asks for your login, which can be annoying if you use an extension like Gmail Manager that attempts to login right away.

Or you could use KeePass portable so you can have them everywhere. Export them using PasswordFox before you set the master password, or you'll have to install an extension to do it.

EDIT: BTW, I'm Joelena on Lifehacker (Agent Ransack, AstroGrep, etc.). Comments there should be concise, otherwise I might have explained that I was mostly letting other people know there were free search tools that support RegEx, since you implied that there weren't any. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:39 am 

m^(2) wrote:
-It works only when placed inside my portable Firefox directory.
-It doesn't work when Firefox is running.
-I always have to specify the profiles directory, which takes 11 clicks with the dialog or 8+2 hotkeys when I use a shortcut to find my FF and copy-paste the path.

it's stuff like this that made me install Firefox. it's one of the few apps actually installed on my machine. for me, PasswordFox worked straight out of the RAR, no setup required :)

m^(2) wrote:
Exactly like Vista in various occasions. :roll:

so i've heard... i therefore have no intention to upgrade any time soon.

ashghost wrote:
EDIT: BTW, I'm Joelena on Lifehacker (Agent Ransack, AstroGrep, etc.). Comments there should be concise, otherwise I might have explained that I was mostly letting other people know there were free search tools that support RegEx, since you implied that there weren't any. :)

ooh, you're sneaky! how'd you know it was me?

thanks for the 'suggestion', but i will continue to comment however i see fit. they're looking for a comment mod right now, so unless you get the job, then keep it to yourself ;)

on another note, i do in fact run Gmail Manager, so i guess Master Password isn't for me. i really don't think anyone messes with my work comp, but if they do, i'll probably find out quickly...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:10 pm 

Garbi garbi garbi you've been a Bad Monkey (Sorry I was watching Ghostbusters 2 last night :D )

I'd suggest Keepass (1.x for portiblilty) for anyone who has concerns about passwords and leaving them on computers Firefox or not.
a'ight I'm off to tell Andrew that 1.12 was released earlier today/last night.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:16 am 

Added ShellBagsView to TPFC: http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=1638
Vote Now!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:28 am 

Added PasswordFox To TPFC: http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=1663
Vote Now!