Directory Opus - File Manager

Discuss anything related to portable commercial apps here.
garbanzo

Directory Opus - File Manager

#1 Post by garbanzo »

perhaps many of you know about Directory Opus, but i didn't. just discovered it yesterday and it's taking up all my time. this is one powerful file manager. and it's portable too! since version 9 all settings are stored in XML files, and there is an option to export your whole setup to a thumb drive.

of course, it costs $80. i don't think i've ever spent that much on software. but just 2 days using the trial and i'm about ready to pay. i have spent hours scripting buttons and macros, integrating everything from sandboxie to imgburn to uniextract.

one of my favorite parts so far is the filetype manager. with a few clicks i added an option in the context menu of all DLL and OCX files to register/unregister them. i can SHIFT-DEL files and have them securely wiped. but you could get pretty creative with it if you wanted to - hold CTRL while dragging a JPG to the second pane and you could set DOpus to resize it, rename it, and convert it to PNG when you drop it!

it's got flashy bits too. set a directory of MP3s to thumbnail view and it shows the embedded album art. text files have nice thumbnail previews too. tooltips of images can show a thumbnail and selected EXIF data. the list goes on...

anyway i just thought i'd share. i'm sure most folks here use TC, but i've never been a fan of it. i'm about half-keyboard half-mouse, and i care about looks, so i've got DOpus nicely skinned at the moment. really having fun with it!

http://www.gpsoft.com.au/

Leif

#2 Post by Leif »

Thanks but I'll stick with Total Commander. Only $38 and portable (U3 version available).

Edit: Just found this!
http://lifehacker.com/399155/five-best- ... e-managers

m^(2)

#3 Post by m^(2) »

Without U3 it's portable too.

garbanzo

#4 Post by garbanzo »

yeah i found out about Directory Opus from that Lifehacker post :)

it is portable by the way. with or without U3. that's kind of why i posted it here...

robsgolem

Portable?

#5 Post by robsgolem »

Can you help me out with making it portable? I've downloaded the trial, installed, moved to my usb HDD, uninstalled, etc. Everytime the program is run, it writes to two different host directories.

Ennovy

#6 Post by Ennovy »

2garbanzo

Yeah, DOpus is great software :D

2robsgolem

The trial version does not support USB installation.
This menu option is only visible after buying Dopus :wink:

Local

#7 Post by Local »

I've been dying to try this for ages so when I heard about the portable installation I jumped at the chance.
Already though I'm disappointed.

You can only transfer the program to 5 USB drives and each program is locked to that specific drive.
It seems fine but I'm not sure where you stand if your USB stick wears out and you have used your 5 installations.
For the price I'd like more.

On a personal problem too, the portable installation doesn't accept my flash drive.
It installed fine on a USB HDD but my cruzer is coming up invalid.

Does anybody have a solution to this?
For me it's really impeding it's portability.