Can you emulate a registered .dll?

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
sleepydvdr

Can you emulate a registered .dll?

#1 Post by sleepydvdr »

Situation: I have a photo editing program called Photo! Editor (freeware, of course). When I make a portable from it using Portable Builder 1.0, I can run the program. But none of the tools work (resize, colorize, etc). The .dll (ivbshlext.dll) is in the proper location, but needs to be registered for the program to recognize it. I looked it up on the internet and that .dll links the program to the different modules.

I'm pretty sure Thinstall can do this. But I don't think we should rely on Thinstall for everything. Is there any other method out there that can do this?

Queue

#2 Post by Queue »

Well, a portable launcher could theorhetically register the DLL before running the program and then unregister it afterwards. Ideally it'd make sure not to step on any info that's already present in the registry related to the DLL and would handle registry and/or file cleanup for the program itself as well. Depending on how widely used the DLL is, the launcher could install and register it and then leave it; not exactly stealth, but if it's beneficial to the host, it shouldn't be unthinkable.

No one should rely on Thinstall unless they have a license for it. It's usually overkill for portabilization anyway. JauntePE might be able to handle this sort of thing virtually.

Also, I thought Portable Builder was exposed as embedding click-fraud tools in the output... maybe I just encountered a modified scummy version.

Queue

lococobra

#3 Post by lococobra »

The script I've been building to portablize programs could easily be used for this, though I haven't implemented it yet.