Question about rules

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
sleepydvdr

Question about rules

#1 Post by sleepydvdr »

Check out this website:

http://www.321download.com/LastFreeware/index.html

They host the last freeware version of apps that now cost $. Since the specific versions they have were freeware, is it ok to post any of that software here?

I wouldn't want to post something and everyone assume it's a warez program because the latest version isn't free.

Queue

#2 Post by Queue »

Quite a few database entries are the ''last free version'' but they were entered in the database, typically, when they were still free. So there is precedence for last free versions being in the database.

It'll probably be on a case-by-case basis, for example, if the license the software was released under for the last free version allows for redistribution. Keep in mind the loss of development (likely the last free version won't see anymore free development, which makes sense) will be a factor for some people's interest in said program.

As long as the submissions are clearly explained as having been the last free version of a program that's not freeware anymore, I don't think you'd be accused of pushing warez; I'd wager us freeware users are used to freeware going payware by now so will recognize the situation.

Queue

sleepydvdr

#3 Post by sleepydvdr »

Thanks for the clarification. That makes sense.

Cornflower

#4 Post by Cornflower »

I agree that there are sometimes good freeware that due to its own success, often, becomes shareware or payware. I have no problem with TPFC posting such submissions, especially if they existed prior to the move to non-freeware status.

Just to add to the discussion, however, for me the freeware does not need to be posted when it has become share/pay ware, as long as it is
- the version that is freeware
- portable (of course)
- does not have a nag that asks if you want to upgrade, because people in a moment of forgetfulness may find themselves using shareware.

When known, a notation inthe database should of course identify that future versions are not freeware. I leave it up to the mods here to decide how they might want that to be, be it by a notation in the "License" field, or by an icon, similar to the blue {Update} icon.