Trouble portabilizing app - where to start troubleshooting?

Discuss anything related to JauntePE, the utlimate utility to help you tame non-portable applications. Share your experience about the apps that work with JauntePE, and the apps that don't.
pipetman

Trouble portabilizing app - where to start troubleshooting?

#1 Post by pipetman »

I recently made few application portable with the JPE autowizzard (2.0.3) and didn't run into much problems.

One application however gives me trouble (it's PhotomatixPro 3.0.3). When I run the PhotomatrixPro_portable file from the directory where the application has been installed, it runs fine. When I copy the whole thing to another location, I get an error mesage. I also tried unpacking the installation file (with Universal Extractor) and then run the JPE wizzard, but the same error comes up (see below).

Is there any way to troubleshoot this problem? I wouldn't even know where to begin looking. Is this something, that can be tackled or is this a hopeless endeavour?

BTW: Here's the error message, I get:
---------------------------
PhotomatixPro.exe - Common Language Runtime Debugging Services
Application has generated an exception that could not be handled.

Process id=0x6c4 (1732), Thread id=0x848 (2120).

Click OK to terminate the application.
Click CANCEL to debug the application.
OK Cancel

Thx!
- p

pipetman

#2 Post by pipetman »

Just when I post these things, a partial solution pops up...

Turns out Photomatix relies on .NET. When poking around on the Photomatix website, hidden deep inside the FAQ section, I found a download link to an executable with .NET embedded. I tried JPE on that one and it works a lot better - although some quirks remain (e.g. the program window only works maximized - no big deal, though).

Nonetheless, I'd still be interested how one goes about troubleshooting issues with JPE portabilizing (is that actually a word?) in general.

- p