VirtuaWin

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.

Moderators: usdcs, Andrew Lee, webfork

leloo

VirtuaWin

#1 Post by leloo » Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:28 am

I LOVE this thing.

VirtuaWin allows for you to have up to 9 virtual desktops (more if you change configuration settings), a multitude of settings to make it behave in any fashion you can think of - mouse control, hotkeys, there's even a few addon modules to peruse and install.

Best of all, it works with (at least) dual monitor setup.

http://virtuawin.sourceforge.net/
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/virt ... up2.11.exe

There is one weird item on this, you have to configure it from scratch if run on a new machine for the first time - I didn't see anything added in the registry, however.

Darkbee

Re: VirtuaWin

#2 Post by Darkbee » Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:11 am

leloo wrote: There is one weird item on this, you have to configure it from scratch if run on a new machine for the first time - I didn't see anything added in the registry, however.
That to me is a big clue that something is being stored in the registry, since each new computer you use doesn't have the same registry settings as the previous one. I suspect this program isn't portable.

You could try DM2, which has a plugin for virtual desktops (among its many other useful features!)

BTW, if you really like VirtuaWin and don't care whether the registry is used or not then I would recommend Virtual Dimension, as an open source alternative to VirtuaWin (which I happen to agree is a very good program, portable or not).

Fluffy

#3 Post by Fluffy » Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:51 pm

Mmmm DM2 - can't imagine using my PC without it.

Okay, so I can, it's just not very appealing.

leloo

#4 Post by leloo » Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:27 pm

Hrm. Well, I just removed every spec of anything listed for VirtuaWin out of my registry, rebooted, and it still functions.

Care to test it with RegShot? I forgot when I first put it on my machine. :oops:

Darkbee

#5 Post by Darkbee » Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:54 pm

Well it looks like we might have a new candidate for the database... as per the VirtuaWin homepage:
Ver 2.11 2005/10/13
* Better multi-user support. Store config files in home directory
* Removed the need for registry entry
* SF1205908, periodic check that moved application doesn't reappear in the taskbar
* Updated mousekeys functionality to require a motion tendency towards the edge of the screen to prevent the desktop from swapping unintentionally just because the mouse is near the end of the screen when the meta key is pressed
* Fixed grammar error when recovering windows. It now properly says "# windows were recovered" or "1 window was recovered"

gp_hbk

#6 Post by gp_hbk » Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:45 am

Darkbee wrote:Well it looks like we might have a new candidate for the database... as per the VirtuaWin homepage:
Ver 2.11 2005/10/13
* Better multi-user support. Store config files in home directory
* Removed the need for registry entry
* SF1205908, periodic check that moved application doesn't reappear in the taskbar
* Updated mousekeys functionality to require a motion tendency towards the edge of the screen to prevent the desktop from swapping unintentionally just because the mouse is near the end of the screen when the meta key is pressed
* Fixed grammar error when recovering windows. It now properly says "# windows were recovered" or "1 window was recovered"
Like the site says, it writes to the Application Data folder. So, it isn't portable, right?

Darkbee

#7 Post by Darkbee » Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:59 am

Oh, I (mis)read that as being the current directory (i.e. the application directory)... but if its then current user directory then you're right, I wouldn't consider that portable.

[update]
I declare VWin unportable since it stores configurations in the following location:

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\VirtuaWin

And this explains why you have to reconfigure it for every new PC that you use. At a stretch you could copy these config files from the original machine and take them with you wherever you go, but for me that doesn't really constitute portable...

BTW, I tried copying the config files to the VirtuaWin directory (and delete the local ones) but it complained that this was the first time I was using VWin and promptly created new config files in the location mentioned above. [/update]

webfork

#8 Post by webfork » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:44 am

Portable VirtuaWin 4.5 BETA 2 is out ... the dev acknowledges there's been no work here but points to a strong community that brought him back :)

http://virtuawin.sourceforge.net/?page_id=74
Supporting Net Neutrality - BattleForTheNet | Why this matters | More from EFF.org

giulia

#9 Post by giulia » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:35 am

webfork wrote:Portable VirtuaWin 4.5 BETA 2 is out ... the dev acknowledges there's been no work here but points to a strong community that brought him back :)

http://virtuawin.sourceforge.net/?page_id=74
hi
thanks
i have downloaded it
but can i set a program to run on desktop 2 , run this program , and let VirtualWin switch to desktop 2 as soon i run this program ?
i can assign a program to run on desktop 2 but i have always after to switch to desktop 2
thanks

KJD

#10 Post by KJD » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:19 pm

@ giulia

Look at the first HELP entry in "Hidden Configuration Options"

you need to manually edit the .\config\virtuawin.cfg file changing the initial (or startup) desktop of VirtuaWin to #.
by default it is set to
initialDesktop# 0
in your case try for second screen
initialDesktop# 2