eyeOS

Any other tech-related topics
lococobra

eyeOS

#1 Post by lococobra »

This is really cool, might even be the next generation of portability. What really did it for me is that it's open source, and you can install it on your own web server! I already have my own installation running at comp.lococobra.com. I'd just like to see more software being developed for this platform.. anyways, here's the official description.

What is eyeOS?

For users
eyeOS is a new kind of Operating System, where everything resides on a web browser. With eyeOS, you will have your desktop, applications and files always with you, from your home, your college, your office or your neightboor's house. Just open a web browser, connect to your eyeOS System and access your personal desktop and all your stuff just like you left it last time.

For developers
eyeOS introduces a new way of developing web applications with the eyeOS Toolkit, a class library to help the application development and a group of functions to interactuate with the system. Forget about HTML, JavaScript, User Management, FileSystem and much more. Introduce yourself at eyeOS Development Team today, eyeOS is Open Source Software!

Official site: eyeOS

Local

#2 Post by Local »

I really don't like the idea of this.
It has been discussed many times as ideas and everybody enthuses over it but nobody ever asks, what about those with no interne.

It's all cool when you are on your own pc or using an internet cafe of the suchlike but how about when the connection is down or you are using a PC that has no connection just to finish that last document for the office.
Even working on somebodies PC who cannot get internet, or even with dial up.

Does this mean you have to have all your programs with you as well as this?

Excuse the rant, it's just that I see every day all of us being pushed into using one product or another, Hell I'm already being denied so many services because I don't own a telephone or Television, there is already talk of a PC that runs only from solid state using this kind of technology.

If it is widely accepted it is likely that standalone PC's will get as obsolete and hard to acquire/repair/build as pre 95 systems.

lococobra

#3 Post by lococobra »

Actually, I believe I've seen some mention that an offline version might become available, then once you got online it would synchronize.

But you're right... that is one major disadvantage.