Which comments on app listings should be deleted?

All suggestions about TPFC should be posted here. Discussions about changes to TPFC will also be carried out here.
JohnTHaller

Which comments on app listings should be deleted?

#1 Post by JohnTHaller »

I was wondering if there was a policy on which comments on app listings should be deleted. I've noticed quite a few have things like "Version 2.1 is available" and then "updated listed to 2.1". Or one that says "version 1.1 isn't installing" from 2016. Is delete just for spam? Or should we be thinning out stuff that doesn't apply any more?
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

Specular

Re: Which comments on app listings should be deleted?

#2 Post by Specular »

JohnTHaller wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 1:48 pmOr should we be thinning out stuff that doesn't apply any more?
For clarity, is the proposed threshold for deletion only short, low info comments like those in the OP, or a broader variety of comments about older versions? As there would be a large number of comments across the site that are version specific (the version number beside comments was a great foresight to identify these).

A relevant drawback imo if including anything that's not relevant to the latest version is when users remain on older versions for specific reasons (eg: a feature may have been removed, device incompatibility, some unfixed bug in an unmaintained program—or perhaps research purposes in the future) and comments about older versions may still be useful.

Andrew Lee

Re: Which comments on app listings should be deleted?

#3 Post by Andrew Lee »

JohnTHaller wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 1:48 pm I was wondering if there was a policy on which comments on app listings should be deleted. I've noticed quite a few have things like "Version 2.1 is available" and then "updated listed to 2.1". Or one that says "version 1.1 isn't installing" from 2016. Is delete just for spam? Or should we be thinning out stuff that doesn't apply any more?
No specific policy, other than the downvote function on comments, although I am planning from now on to downvote those "Version X.X is available" comments once the entry info has been updated.