Rename/tag songs with release date info from Wikipedia?

Any other tech-related topics
Marc

Rename/tag songs with release date info from Wikipedia?

#1 Post by Marc »

I have noticed when I search with google for release dates of songs it returns a special box with the year taken from Wikipedia.
Example: Led Zeppelin - Trampled Under Foot release date

Is there a tag editor for using the Wikipedia release date of songs based on their filenames? in order to add release year as prefix. It is a way of sorting songs of for example a given genre in objective quantitative values.
  • 1990 Ac Dc - Thunderstruck
  • 1991 Guns & Roses - Knockin' On Heaven's Door
If there was a way for adding full release date in the scheme %year%-%month%-%day% the better.

Specular

Re: Rename/tag songs with release date info from Wikipedia?

#2 Post by Specular »

Usually such sites source places like Discogs.com for the information. Especially if you're looking for exact release dates Discogs would be the place to check, as different pressings came out a different times. I both add releases and use them myself and it's an excellent resource.

I believe there is a Mp3Tag script that can import Discogs results as tags. Usually I do this at the ripping stage using CueRipper which has an automatic Discogs tagger (+ several other sources). In fact CueTools may have the option to scan existing files and update the tags.

For tagging in general Mp3Tag is a superb batch audio tagging program. Once you have the music tagged you can create 'Actions' to rename collections in bulk, even moving the files into new folders automatically.