SilverSHielD (SSH/SFTP server for Windows)

Post details of freeware that are found to be not portable here. Posts in the submissions forum relating to freeware found to be not portable should also be moved here.
Midas

SilverSHielD (SSH/SFTP server for Windows)

#1 Post by Midas »

SilverSHielD is a tentative entry for an under-represented category here at TPFC -- I haven't had time to test it, but I am assuming it isn't natively portable...
  • SilverSHielD is an easy-to-use yet very powerful and reliable SSH2 and SFTP server for the Windows operating system. Whether you need a PCI or HIPAA compliant file transfer solution, or you need to backup your Cisco UC platform, or just securely transfer files between different locations, SilverSHielD is the SFTP server for you. [...] If you deploy SilverSHielD at home, exclusively for personal use, it's free forever.
Download SilverSHielD current 32 & 64 bits version (v6.x) from the product page at http://www.extenua.com/silvershield.
Last edited by Midas on Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

webfork

Re: SilverSHielD (SSH/SFTP server for Windows)

#2 Post by webfork »

Midas wrote:SilverSHielD is a tentative entry for an under-represented category here at TPFC
Definitely. A secure server program is very important and this one (through use of SFTP) would not have been vulnerable to heartbleed.

License: free for personal use only
Limitations: only 3 connections from a single client, which is very light. I don't think I've ever intentionally set something up using more than 3 connections to a server.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/S ... ielD.shtml

I'll try to test it out sometime soon.

webfork

#3 Post by webfork »

Testing results for installing with default settings (Uniextract had no effect):

Short version: Definitely not portable, still looks like one of the better server interfaces I've used.

Status: Not portable; not even vaguely. Installs a system service, writes settings to \ProgramData\SilverSHielD, HKLM\SOFTWARE\Extenua\SilverSHielD and a bunch of other places.

Other testing notes:
  • After install, the next step is a little unclear. Launch admin panel (login/pass is admin/[blank], which you only find out after opening the help menu. Not a good sign.)
  • Very feature-rich program. Lots of great stuff here. Port forwarding, SFTP access, compression, different security levels, even an intelligent "tarpit" where you can dump users you don't want to directly deny to just get attacked, but essentially make your server look empty/useless. Even cool scripts.
  • Obvious negative I could see is that for some reason DES is an available crypto system, despite having being essentially cracked years ago. It might still be secure if you used 50+ character passwords, but I wouldn't try.
  • I kept getting authorization errors when I tried to connect to localhost via Filezilla. Not sure what went wrong here and that might have been on my side.
Regardless, a great program but unlikely it'll ever be portable without some kind of driver install-uninstall sequence each time the program is launched. It will always require admin.

Midas

#4 Post by Midas »

SilverSHielD v6.1.4.134 released (no changelog).

Freeware vs payware matrix at http://www.extenua.com/SilverShieldpricing.jpg.

I am Baas

#5 Post by I am Baas »