Uncomplicated phone/address book

Any other tech-related topics
spicydog

Uncomplicated phone/address book

#1 Post by spicydog »

I am looking for a phonebook application (mostly for home use), which permits to store for each contact:

- Name/Surname
- A couple of phone numbers
- A couple of email addresses
- A postal address <<-- This is not a must but it would be a plus
- Some general notes

The data entry of the above items can be even done all in one "Notepad-like" field (as opposed to individual dedicated boxes for each item).

Features that should be included:

- Ability to search simultaneously in all fields <<-- Not only in Name/Surname fields
- Ability to invoke the default mail client when selecting/clicking an email address
- Ability to invoke the default dialer (or a designated VoIP application) when selecting/clicking a phone number
- Ability to invoke the default browser to look up the postal address in Google Maps <<-- This is not a must but it would be a plus

I have been looking around but mostly came across:

- Bloatware with tons of unnecessary side-functions (Calendars/Reminders/etc.) and loads of tabs for categories/groups (Business/Friends/Family/etc.)
- Apps with chaotic-looking, small, non-resizable GUI
- Some buggy/incomplete apps
- Some decent, yet lacking/inflexible apps

Any suggestion (even for non portable/freeware) would be most welcome :mrgreen:

joby_toss

Re: Uncomplicated phone/address book

#2 Post by joby_toss »

An .xls file?

spicydog

#3 Post by spicydog »

joby_toss wrote:An .xls file?
Hehe, I thought of that JT but (for a couple of reasons that I don't want to bore you with) I was really thinking of using an app :mrgreen:

joby_toss

#4 Post by joby_toss »

I mostly use EssentialPIM for this, but I used to use Open Contacts also. Very powerful app!

spicydog

#5 Post by spicydog »

I have briefly tested ResophNotes and I must admit that it is quite good.

I especially like the minimalist (clean-cut) look and the excellent search-as-you-type function.

Before I settle for ResophNotes (while I keep scouring the net) I wait and see if any other creative suggestion pops up.

Keep'em coming :mrgreen:

Midas

#6 Post by Midas »

As mentioned in ResophNotes entry comments, CintaNotes might be a worthy alternative.

If you want something rather more free-form, yet allowing head-space for gathering data over your own templates, check Treeline or wiki inspired wikidPad/Zim. :idea:

spicydog

#7 Post by spicydog »

Hey Midas :)

In fact initially I intended to use CintaNotes (but somehow it keeps on crashing on my system) so I went over to ResophNotes, which I also like a lot for the ability to store all entries in an encrypted section of the .xml database and seamlessly convert (each single entry) to individual .txt files under a user-defined path.

Probably CintaNotes does that too, but I guess that I will never know :mrgreen:

Did you have a chance to try ResophNotes? You might want to give it a spin ;)

I did not test the other apps you suggested mainly because I am particularly fond of the search-as-you-type box available in both ResophNotes and CintaNotes.

Midas

#8 Post by Midas »

For the record, I would never recommend anything I hadn't tried myself. I have ResophNotes in my portable folder as I write... 8)
spicydog wrote:I did not test the other apps you suggested mainly because I am particularly fond of the search-as-you-type box available in both ResophNotes and CintaNotes.
I assume the version of CintaNotes that crashes on you is the latest (v2.1.1); you might want to try a previous one: http://cintanotes.com/files/old/

(The last entirely freeware version is 1.5.7, which is perfectly stable & usable)

spicydog

#9 Post by spicydog »

Midas wrote:For the record, I would never recommend anything I hadn't tried myself. I have ResophNotes in my portable folder as I write... 8)
He he, why am I not surprised? :mrgreen: I did not expect anything less from you! :mrgreen:
Midas wrote:I assume the version of CintaNotes that crashes on you is the latest (v2.1.1); you might want to try a previous one: http://cintanotes.com/files/old/

(The last entirely freeware version is 1.5.7, which is perfectly stable & usable)
Thanks a bunch, v1.5.7 (barely 800 KB against the 2.6 MB of v2.1.1) does indeed work!

Still (after a "test drive") I must say that there are a few aspects that I like better in ResophNotes... I might be contacting the dev to suggest a few minor improvements and I hope that I will get a responsive feedback.

Midas

#10 Post by Midas »

Great! 8)