U3 Application Tool

If you are currently developing portable freeware or planning to do so, use this forum to discuss technical implementation, seek out like-minded developers for partnership, or solicit interested users for beta testing.
dansheadel

U3 Application Tool

#1 Post by dansheadel »

If any of you have a U3-enabled jumpdrive, you've probably realized there is no easy way to add programs onto the startup folder. As I like having a launcher, i figured i'd register some programs into mine, and wound up writing a tool to do it for me.
So, here is the fruits of my labor, for all to enjoy

Purpose:
Simplify adding a program to the U3 Launchpad Menu by reducing it to drag and drop.

Where to get it:
http://web.pdx.edu/~dsheadel/U3%20Register%20v0.3.zip

Usage:
This information is in the readme, and i encourage you to use that.
Briefly however:
unzip the files into the /system/ folder of your U3 jumpdrive, then drag and drop the executable (eg:PortableFirefox.exe) onto the 'U3 Register.bat' file, and then follow the prompts.

Todo:
I'm hoping to eventually turn this into a U3 Manager tool, with full add/remove support, and i might be able to get icon support. The way the U3 system handles them is annnoying, but i'll work on it.

Hope you enjoy, and thanks to everyone who participates in this site. You all have greatly simplified my life by letting me have my own little computing environment everywhere i go.

Dan

harrietjames

Re: U3 Application Tool

#2 Post by harrietjames »

Message came out blank here it is:
dansheadel wrote:If any of you have a U3-enabled jumpdrive, you've probably realized there is no easy way to add programs onto the startup folder. As I like having a launcher, i figured i'd register some programs into mine, and wound up writing a tool to do it for me.
So, here is the fruits of my labor, for all to enjoy

Purpose:
Simplify adding a program to the U3 Launchpad Menu by reducing it to drag and drop.

Where to get it:
http://web.pdx.edu/~dsheadel/U3 Register v0.3.zip
Usage:
This information is in the readme, and i encourage you to use that.
Briefly however:
unzip the files into the /system/ folder of your U3 jumpdrive, then drag and drop the executable (eg:PortableFirefox.exe) onto the 'U3 Register.bat' file, and then follow the prompts.

Todo:
I'm hoping to eventually turn this into a U3 Manager tool, with full add/remove support, and i might be able to get icon support. The way the U3 system handles them is annnoying, but i'll work on it.

Hope you enjoy, and thanks to everyone who participates in this site. You all have greatly simplified my life by letting me have my own little computing environment everywhere i go.

Dan