It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Pidgin - multi-network instant messenger
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 1:19 pm 

[Moderator note: this is the primary Pidgin (formerly "Gaim") program thread. View database entry]

----

Pidgin v2.0

Although John T. Haller hasn't got a version out yet, the Pidgin team has a step by step guide on making Pidgin portable.

It is pretty easy to set up; instructions here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:04 am 

While I haven't checked the Registry yet, the Pidgin team DOES have a set of instructions on making it portable. It involves installing Pidgin to a machine, copying selected files to the USB drive, downloading a new executable that is coded for portability (soft directory links!), and then running it. Copying over existing settings from the host machine is easy as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:38 am 

You can find the instructions here:
https://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/Using% ... maUSBDrive

(One of the developers wrote that the v2.0.0 portable executable is identical to v2.0.0 since there haven't been any changes to it.)

Edit: Sorry, didn't see the already given link above.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:48 am 

Actually, you no longer need to download an executable. Now you only need to rename Pidgin.exe to pidgin-portable.exe thanks to the new 2.1.0 update. I even packed a distro for the forum and 7zipped it and posted it in another thread. If anyone wants me to repost it I will.

Post subject: Re: Pidgin (formerly gaim)
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 4:37 am 

Also available, X-Pidgin v2.10.10 [rev17], updated 2014-10-23:http://www.winpenpack.com/main/download.php?view.551.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 7:07 am 

Is there a command line parameter with which Pidgin can be started, that can make it save the settings in custom location? The "Official Procedure" to make it portable looks little complicated.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 10:40 am 

Peter202 wrote:
Is there a command line parameter with which Pidgin can be started, that can make it save the settings in custom location? The "Official Procedure" to make it portable looks little complicated.

It may look that way, but it isn't, really -- the gist of the procedure is composed of 2 downloads, making 1 new folder, extracting the archives into it, 3 renaming operations, 1 folder copy, and 6 individual deletion instructions... :|

1. Download ZIP files from SF.net, currently the following:
      http://sourceforge.net/projects/pidgin/files/GTK%2B%20for%20Windows/2.16.6.2/gtk-runtime-2.16.6.2.zip
      http://sourceforge.net/projects/pidgin/files/Pidgin/2.10.11/pidgin-2.10.11-win32-bin.zip
      _
    2. Extract both to a folder, say 'Pidgin-Portable';
      _
    3. Rename extracted folders inside 'Pidgin-Portable' respectively to 'GTK' and 'Pidgin';
      _
    4. Go inside 'Pidgin-Portable\GTK\share\themes\MS-Windows' and copy the 'gtk-2.0' folder to 'Pidgin-Portable\GTK\etc' (overwrite if asked);
      _
    5. Go to 'Pidgin-Portable\GTK' and delete folders 'share' and 'manifest';
      _
    6. Go to 'Pidgin-Portable\Pidgin\plugins' and delete folder 'perl' and files 'perl.dll' and 'tcl.dll';
      _
    7. Go to 'Pidgin-Portable\Pidgin' and delete folder 'spellcheck';
      _
    8. Still in 'Pidgin-Portable\Pidgin', rename 'pidgin.exe' to 'pidgin-portable.exe'.

Your settings will be saved to the 'Pidgin-Portable\.purple' folder created on first run. Anything I left out, can be (re)done later...

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 12:04 am 

Thanks, i followed the instructions and created the portable Pidgin.

When i have to upgrade the portable setup of Pidgin what procedure i have to follow? Also, if i want to install spell checker for english or install a plugin what is the right way to do that?

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 3:56 am 

@Peter202: please refer back to Pidgin's wiki FAQ entry, that's all clearly explained there.

Do report here if you encounter any problems...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:01 pm 

The pidgin 2.11.0 changelog was amusing:

Quote:
Stop truncating passwords to 8 characters like old ICQ clients did. (#16692). If you actually needed this, truncate your password manually by pressing backspace a few times.

Also you can evidently you can use IRC with OTR (client-agnostic encryption). I'm surprised it took this long.

Post subject: Re: Pidgin 2.12.0
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:48 am 

Pidgin at version 2.12.0, downloads, downloads and changes:

Quote:
version 2.12.0 (03/09/2017):

libpurple:

General
  • Replaced instances of d.pidgin.im with developer.pidgin.im and updated the urls to use https. (#17036)

IRC
  • Fixed issue of messages being silently cut off at 500 characters. Large messages are now split into parts and sent one by one. (#4753)

A lot of defunct trash (Facebook, MSN, MySpaceIM, Yahoo!) has been removed, nice!