It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Batch Icon Extractor
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 4:07 pm 

Batch Icon Extractor was added to the db @ http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=2296

I ran a quick test. It seems to write to setupapi.app.log (Win 7 64-bit) and to require internet connection. Can anyone confirm that?

Post subject: Re: Batch Icon Extractor
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 8:24 pm 

I'm using this for a long time now.
I can't confirm your findings.

What I would like to see is a completely automated action (without hitting Enter key when it's done doing its thing...).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:28 am 

The application does display a link when it's run but it seems to run just fine on disabling my network connection. I did find a registry entry for the application (HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\BatchIconExtractor.exe) but deleting it seems to have no effect on the application and the key is not rewritten on running it - not sure how it got there in the first place. I did add a reference to it in the registry so that I could use the context menu to extract icons from dll's and exe's - maybe it was added then.

>>I ran a quick test. It seems to write to setupapi.app.log ...
I'm running XP - there's no mention of it in my SetupAPI.log file - that seems to be the XP equivalent. No mention of it in my EventViewer logs. I put a packet sniffer on my network connection and ran the app - no packets were sent from my computer while the application was executing. Unfortunately, the app is not open source so the code cannot be checked for hidden Trojans or virus activity. I did use Dependency Walker on it and didn't see any unusual calls and did perform several scans on the application folder and a system-wide scan last night with zero results. Not sure what else I can do.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:21 am 

I did another check of the Registry and found that the registry entry had been rewritten: (HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\BatchIconExtractor.exe). I suspect that the operating system is writing this entry as part of normal operations because the app doesn't seem to care.