Launchy - Applications launcher

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
blaumag

Launchy - Applications launcher

#1 Post by blaumag »

Launchy is a free windows utility designed to help you forget about your start menu, the icons on your desktop, and even your file manager.

Launchy indexes the programs in your start menu and can launch your documents, project files, folders, and bookmarks with just a few keystrokes!
It stores the configuration in the app menu.

Darkbee

#2 Post by Darkbee »

Andrew Lee

#3 Post by Andrew Lee »

Thanks! Posted to the database.

barlas

Launchy 1.0 beta

#4 Post by barlas »

Launchy 1.0 beta is released

There are many new features and bug fixes, including a USB mode. Here is the complete changelog
http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?forum_id=611138

P.S: I couldn't find any guideline for posting here, is it okay to post beta releases?

Fluffy

#5 Post by Fluffy »

Sure, beta releases are just fine as long as they're reasonably stable and do what they're intended to do without a great deal of features that "have yet to be implemented." Usability is the key. Thanks for the heads up, I'll check it out soon.

EDIT : YAY! Even supports relative paths. Beautiful, thanks so much for letting us know!

technicolordreamcoat

#6 Post by technicolordreamcoat »

you people are not on the same page here!

Andrew Lee wrote:
For apps where stable versions are available, I'd prefer not to update the database with beta versions, since beta versions are typically updated at a much faster pace than stable versions.

For example, even though numerous beta releases of PSPad V4.5.2 has been released, the version number in the database stays at V4.5.1.

Fluffy

#7 Post by Fluffy »

Actually, we are. I updated this one with a beta version because it specifically added support for USB media, which I think warrants an update so that the installation procedure field can be updated accordingly.

I also understand that Andrew tends to frown on updating the database with beta releases: I feel the same way. However, that doesn't mean users should avoid posting them altogether, especially when a special feature like this is included. Just because it shows up in the forums doesn't mean the database is going to get updated, but there are some times that it's appropriate. I also didn't want to give new users the false impression that ALL beta releases were unacceptable.

In my opinion, this was one of those times, and I'm pretty sure Andrew would agree with me on this one. :)

Andrew Lee

#8 Post by Andrew Lee »

I was under the impression that Launchy was in prerelease mode all the time. This 1.0 beta release seems to be the the first step towards an actual production release.

joby_toss

#9 Post by joby_toss »

Launchy is at version 2.1.1 now.
2.1 has been released, which includes what is essentially a beta version of Linux 2.1. It was hard to get Linux testers without first making a release, so use at your own risk ;)

• Added Linux support! (KDE and Gnome both work, possibly others)
• Added Google Calculator plugin (gcalc)
• Added configurable default search to weby (all searches with no results default to google)
• “/” and “\” now tab complete while file browsing
• Added rescue mode to recover lost windows or forgotten hotkeys (in Linux run “launchy rescue” or use the start menu in windows)
• Minimum transparency set to 15%
• Searches are even faster and the catalog uses slightly less memory
• Bug Fixes:
o Fixed the database update timer
o Fixed centering problem when multiple monitors in use
o Fixed the url encoding problem, e.g. googling for “c#” now works

guinness

Re: Launchy 1.0 beta

#10 Post by guinness »

V2.5 (beta) is available at http://sourceforge.net/projects/launchy ... ic/3493498
• Added Simon Capewell as a developer. This release owes quite a lot to him. Thanks Simon! :)
• Faster performance
• Icons displayed correctly
• Environment variables updated correctly when system changes
• Controly includes more items, thanks Fabian!
• New shortcut keys
• New controls:
o Shift+tab or Shift+bkspc deletes previous tab
o Shift+Ctrl+Enter launches in elevated mode (Vista and Win7)
o Down arrow shows history (when there is no current search text)
• Default skin built into executable in case no other skin is found
• Down arrow
• Launchy now has an icon in the system tray
• Skins are simplified and easier to create

freakazoid

#11 Post by freakazoid »

I would recommend Executor instead of Launchy.

Smaller, better, faster.
is it stealth? ;)

webfork

#12 Post by webfork »

> recommend Executor

Executor has LOADS of features, but there's something to be said for an easy to use, simple program. I'm slowly working with Executor to figure it all out in place of SlickRun.

joby_toss

#13 Post by joby_toss »

Isn't anyone here using FARR?
Great tool, gets second place for me after ARB - Alias Run Box (v3.2, not v4.1) for PowerPro (powerpro not being very portable, but still ... all time favorite tool). Although FARR has many more features, ARB is always there for me on my main machine, powerpro being always opened.
Launchy has some annoying indexing timing ...

freakazoid

#14 Post by freakazoid »

Isn't FARR nagware?

I did try it out at one point, but it didn't look good.
Haven't tried out ARB yet... annoying that it's hidden behind a Yahoo group!
is it stealth? ;)

joby_toss

#15 Post by joby_toss »

freakazoid wrote:Isn't FARR nagware?
Not if you donate or become an older than 6 months DC's forum member.
freakazoid wrote:Haven't tried out ARB yet... annoying that it's hidden behind a Yahoo group!
ARB is great for launching things, web searches ... the hdd drive searching part is done using Locate32 in my case (also from ARB).