Yet another Attempt to make portable software

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
Zach Thibeau

Yet another Attempt to make portable software

#1 Post by Zach Thibeau »

ok Guys JauntePE as far as we know has ceased development (Unless someone heard otherwise that is). I am going to take up the cause but mine is going to be open-source. Currently I am looking for some good programmers. I am thinking of C++ as my main language if anyone would like to be part of my team, they can contact me at thibeaz@gmail.com. I'll also will be opening a development forum at portableappsworld.com, but first I need a crew. As for my part I am a newbie in programming in c laguages but I am learning. I can do graphics and what not. Eventually I will be doing alot of programming. Been doing some studying and some of the syntax looks very much like autoit and nsis so I hope my transition will be smooth. Will be looking for those emails :P
Thanks in advance
Zach Thibeau
Portableappsworld.com Admin

nycjv321

cool!

#2 Post by nycjv321 »

well im newbie coder 2! NSIS and AutoIT, i tried MASM but that went horribly wrong :( but yea ill help with what you need, like documentation etc. u know

Zach Thibeau

Thanks

#3 Post by Zach Thibeau »

Thaks for the reply. SUre you can help with documentation. and if you know of anyone else that could help have them email me at thibeaz@gmail.com

Firewrath

#4 Post by Firewrath »

well, first off, due to RL reasons i totally Suck at coding, so i wont be much help to you there, :P

but, if you want an idea what to make,....

Something like a 'RegShot' wizard thatd generate NSIS script is prolly the best way to go,
IE: itd detect all the changes the program makes,
ask you which ones you want to include,
then makes the portable .exe and file system,

other then that,
the biggest thing your going to run into is detecting what the program is doing system-wise and getting it to be redirected to some portable setting,
i mean,
even JPE had its flaws there, though i still use it, ^-^

Anyways, i doubt id be much help code wise,
but i tend to be a decent bug catcher,
so ill help there if i can,

calm_observer

#5 Post by calm_observer »

hi,

i've been using autoit to make apps portable and it works well IMHO

i've just downloaded jauntepe, and Sandboxie to see how they handle things. has anyone browsed the autoit forum :?:

i did a search for 'portable', but need to do more reading. i think you may find some folks over there that are interested in using autoit for making portable apps 8) Later

Zach Thibeau

Well

#6 Post by Zach Thibeau »

Well I pretty much like to use nsis as my scripting utility. YANC (which is my project name) is going to use nsis it's guide to make any app you use portable. I currently using delphi to get the basic functions and also trying to get a registry search functions at least started soon. I'll post a pre alpha very soon (I hope)

calm_observer

Re: Well

#7 Post by calm_observer »

thibeaz wrote:Well I pretty much like to use nsis as my scripting utility. YANC (which is my project name) is going to use nsis it's guide to make any app you use portable. I currently using delphi to get the basic functions and also trying to get a registry search functions at least started soon. I'll post a pre alpha very soon (I hope)
i know nonags thinks highly of NSIS as they do AutoIt. i was unable to find any documentation at NSIS's site. i would like to take a look at it's instruction set.

one thing i like about autoit it is pretty powerfull for a scripting language, has a large and active community, and seems to be upgrated often. the latest additions included, among other things, a pretty full set of network commands.

in the end it comes down to what what you need to do and what you feel comfortable with. if it works use it :wink:

Zach Thibeau

#8 Post by Zach Thibeau »

calm_observer wrote:
thibeaz wrote:Well I pretty much like to use nsis as my scripting utility. YANC (which is my project name) is going to use nsis it's guide to make any app you use portable. I currently using delphi to get the basic functions and also trying to get a registry search functions at least started soon. I'll post a pre alpha very soon (I hope)
i know nonags thinks highly of NSIS as they do AutoIt. i was unable to find any documentation at NSIS's site. i would like to take a look at it's instruction set.

one thing i like about autoit it is pretty powerfull for a scripting language, has a large and active community, and seems to be upgrated often. the latest additions included, among other things, a pretty full set of network commands.

in the end it comes down to what what you need to do and what you feel comfortable with. if it works use it :wink:
Well there should be documentation for nsis comes with NSIS when you download the app. Autoit I'm not to fond of but I know how to use it to my advantage when needed. And yes your right all it boils down to is what we are comfertable

Ehtyar

#9 Post by Ehtyar »

You will find NSIS help in the root dir of your NSIS install, in a file called NSIS.chm. Some important stuff can be found in the following places:

Code: Select all

Instruction Reference: NSIS Users Manual->Chapter 4: Scripting Reference->Instructions

Useful/Important Constants: NSIS Users Manual->Chapter 4: Scripting Reference->User Variables->Constants

Creating Silent Installers: NSIS Users Manual->Chapter 4: Scripting Reference->Silent Installers/Uninstallers

Scripting/Syntax Examples: NSIS Users Manual->Appendix C: Useful Scripts
Also, if you wish to code portable apps in NSIS, i highly recommend you download the Portable Application Template and visit portableapps.com. The template makes portable application building a 5 minute job for just about any app.
Also, in case you're interested, my programming experience includes masm, fasm, c (msvc - no IDE), autoit, nsis and several other languages that would not help in building portable apps. I'd be happy to contribute to some portable application building.

Hope this info helps, Ehtyar.

Zach Thibeau

Well

#10 Post by Zach Thibeau »

Well you seem to be missing the point I do use nsis to make my portable apps. I don't use the portable application template as I've developed my own GPLed nsis code for making apps portable. But I'm taking a step further in making a program to make apps that are not portable into portable apps with my nsis script. all the user does is just input some variables and the app will try to find registry functions and the make the launcher with nsis.

calm_observer

#11 Post by calm_observer »

thibeaz wrote:Well you seem to be missing the point I do use nsis to make my portable apps. I don't use the portable application template as I've developed my own GPLed nsis code for making apps portable. But I'm taking a step further in making a program to make apps that are not portable into portable apps with my nsis script. all the user does is just input some variables and the app will try to find registry functions and the make the launcher with nsis.
yes i thought was the path you were taking. what i am doing is building a framework that is meant to be run in a portable envirnoment. i try to make it easy to add new apps to the environment, but i also provide some system resources, hot keys, menus etc the whole shebang is controlled by a monitor written in autoit.

Zach Thibeau

Right Now

#12 Post by Zach Thibeau »

Right now I am working on using Delphi to get my needs met. and Delphi is what I am learning