portable PIM and autorun USB

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
faca

portable PIM and autorun USB

#1 Post by faca »

Hi two questions here.
I use outlook as my PIM PC and want to carry its datas in my USB is there any portable free application that sych with my PC outlook?
I have read soem post about Autorun USB but I´m no an expect and no clear for me.
Anyway my questions is possible to make my USB pen autorun in any PC like any CD? how?
Thanks for your help this forum is great for me.
see you

teobromina

Sync with outlook

#2 Post by teobromina »

Hello faca:

I have syncronized outlook with essentialPIM: http://www.essentialpim.com almost straightforward. You will have the option to encrypt the database, for increased data security.

About to autorun USB pendrive, I am using Amenu: http://www.net-burner.com/Products/AutoMenu.cfm

With AMenu you will be able, at least, to assign an icon to the USB pendrive, and to have a small first menu; in some circumstances, could be, you would have a program running when the USB pendrive is plugged in... 8)

*JT.

teobromina

Note on "syncronizing" outlook to EssentialPIM

#3 Post by teobromina »

I would like to clarify one point: :!:

Actually EssentialPIM is NOT "syncronizing" but "importing" data from and to outlook.

:idea: I forgot to say that when you use EssentialPIM as your Personal Information Manager, you do not need anymore to use outlook for that purpose. The advantage is evident: you bring with you all your data, your data are closed to other eyes, EssentialPIM has got a very good notes editor that can export contents as HTML documents, you may have two or more databases (job and home, per instance) and so on.

Since you have your data in single files, you may have copies of the datafiles from time to time, rename the files in order to have backups at defined time intervals, etc.

To revert data to outlook, it would be necessary to export data from EssentialPIM to outlook; then as far as I remember, the contacts appear duplicated. So a clean option is to save the datafile of outlook to another folder, to delete the datafile of outlook and the to export data from EssentialPIM to outlook.

If your personal data contained in outlook or in EssentialPIM are valuable, it is good idea, before to perform any operation with it, to assure that you know the exact behavior of the programs (by using dummy files first), and to have a good backup policy and practices. :roll:

*JT.