Boom - audio player

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
lautrepay

Boom - audio player

#1 Post by lautrepay »

[Moderator note: this is the primary Boom audio player program thread. View database entry]

---

The author of foobar2000 has developed another audio player.
Boom is an easy to use audio player intended for casual computer users who do not wish to spend their time on figuring more sophisticated software out. All of its most important features are easily accessible out-of-the-box.

Noteworthy features:
*No installation or administrator rights required! Just download and run.
*Gapless playback of properly encoded files. Enjoy smooth transitions between tracks.
*ReplayGain support.
*External software is currently required to write ReplayGain information to file tags to utilize this functionality.
*Contents of your music folders are shown, in a convenient structured genre/artist/album/song view.
*By default, contents of "my music" folder or Windows Music library folders are shown. You can configure Boom to index music from any other folders though.
*You can install Boom to removable media and have it index contents of the folder it is installed in.
*Are your files badly tagged or missing tags alltogether? No problem, Boom can browse your music library by its folder structure.
*Supports variety of popular audio formats, including: MP3, Ogg Vorbis, FLAC, Musepack (MPC), WavPack, WAV, AIFF, MP4/M4A, WMA.
*For emergency tagging needs, Boom includes a simplified version of the foobar2000 Properties dialog.
*Easily configured to run from removable media.
*Multilanguage support.

Download boom.exe and place it in the folder of your choice. Create two blank files named Boom.exe.localconfig.opt and Boom.exe.locallibrary.opt in the app folder and launch Boom.exe.

webfork

Re: Boom

#2 Post by webfork »

Good suggestion. I do think its a bit weird for the developer of one of the most customizable players available to change course and aim for a general audience with simple, familiar controls. Looks good, though.

lautrepay

#3 Post by lautrepay »

webfork wrote:Good suggestion. I do think its a bit weird for the developer of one of the most customizable players available to change course and aim for a general audience with simple, familiar controls. Looks good, though.
Weird is the right word when you talk about costumization. Under the menu "Preferences" there's almost nothing.
Certainly (in addition to the low resources consumption, the great sound, the very fast indexation and the "modern" GUI) the lack of options and the simplicity wolud result attractive for a large number of users.
Not for me, however. I still prefer XMPlay, that kind of jigsaw. And I recently discovered Jajuk (written in Java, open source, multiplatform and obviously not portable), really impressive.

Emka

#4 Post by Emka »

Peter Pawlowski also offers AutoFolderPic @ http://perkele.cc/software/AutoFolderPic
This simple application automates the tedious task of finding pictures - such as music album covers - and saving them into appropriate folders, as folder.jpg in each folder.
AutoFolderPic uses Google images search to fetch images for each folder.
I have not tested it because it does not seem to support saving pictures under filenames other than folder.jpg (at least that's what I gather from the screenshots).

lautrepay

#5 Post by lautrepay »

Updated to v.1.0.3.
Changelog:
Tag handling fixes.
Added support for tagging WAV files.
It seems that foobar's improvements and bugfixes, when suitable, are promptly transferred to Boom's code.

lautrepay

#6 Post by lautrepay »

Added. If you like it you can vote here.
lautrepay wrote:And I recently discovered Jajuk (written in Java, open source, multiplatform and obviously not portable), really impressive.
A PortableApps.com development test of Jajuk can be downloaded here.

Midas

Re: Jajuk

#7 Post by Midas »

Old topic updated: Java media manager Jajuk v1.10.8 released (v1.10 release notes at http://www.jajuk.info/release_notes_1.10.html).