It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: calibre
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:29 pm 

I have posted calibre to the database, courtesy of I am Baas:

http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=2119

calibre is a well-known and popular ebook library management system with support for numerous physical ebook devices. It comes with its own ebook reader software as well.

Please vote if you would like it!

Post subject: Re: calibre
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:43 am 

Few notes:
Quote:
Upgrading
If you want to upgrade a previous version of calibre portable, download the latest version from here and replace the "Calibre Library" and "Calibre Settings" folders in your new download with the same folders from you old calibre portable.

Quote:
The calibre portable build can be run on any windows computer running at least Windows XP SP3.

Additional download location, where you'll also find some video tutorials for download:
http://code.google.com/p/calibre-ebook/downloads/list

The "not stealth" status refers to the Trolltech registry keys, not some Calibre settings.

I also rectified the package size.

Thanks for adding! Voted! :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:38 am 

:D Highly recommended :D

- Easy to use
- Easy search
- Very versatile
- Very customizable (GUI and library organization)
- Easy to download metadata for your book from several sources
- Practically supports every eBook format you're gonna come across
- Can convert to practically any eBook format you're gonna come across

Great software for managing and organizating your eBooks, it's like an all-in-one do-it-all piece of kit. Maybe the only thing I can see missing right now is an editing feature, it would be nice to be able to do some quick editing.

But no big loss, you can always try Sigil, a dedicated eBook editor. Shame it's not portable at the moment, but still recommended. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:45 am 

been using Calibre ever since I got my first ebook reader a year or so ago. It is by far the best ebook library management software available.

As to Sigil I have used it in the past but it is so slow and resource hungry I gave up fixing formatting errors in my books and just learned to live with them.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:16 pm 

Thank you Andrew & joby_toss. I know I have quite a few applications to add to the DB. Hope to find the time soon.

Cheers.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:16 am 

Quote:
The calibre portable build can be run on any windows computer running at least Windows XP SP3.

Has been fine running on XP SP2 as well.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:21 am 

This is a statement of the authors, on their website.
Maybe not all the features are working properly? I don't know.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:26 pm 

Apparently, the zip packaged version of calibre2opds is portable (didn't test).
Quote:
If you manage your eBooks collection with Calibre, this tool will allow you to generate an OPDS compatible XML catalog (Stanza and Aldiko use this standard), complete with cross-references, and external links to interesting web pages about your books. This catalog can be used with OPDS compatible reading software/devices to browse your catalog online and download items of interest.

In addition, an HTML version of your catalog can also be generated, allowing access from any browser-based ebook reader (e.g. a netbook with Firefox and ePubReader).

Requires : Java 1.5 or higher, Calibre 0.6 or higher, and optionally a mean of publishing the catalogs (e.g. a Dropbox account) so that they are visible on the public internet.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:10 am 

i tried to create an NSIS launcher for this but can't figure out why it refuses to work.

Im using

Code:
DeleteRegKey HKEY_CURRENT_USER "Software\Trolltech

and yes.. i have:
Code:
!include "Registry.nsh"

anyone have an idea?

Note:
the launcher successfully compiles, launches, and terminates.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:49 am 

I believe the registry "functions" are actually macros, so it's a different syntax:

Code:
${registry::DeleteKey} "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Trolltech"

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:25 am 

Hydaral wrote:
I believe the registry "functions" are actually macros, so it's a different syntax:

Code:

thanks for the help.. but that's not the correct syntax.
im familiar with NSIS and have successfully compiled many launchers.

It's Calibre.. i think it's causing a problem because of the way it's been created by it's developers.
It's already in a 'Portable' format.. .which i think might be the problem.

For instance. .. i created a launcher for Autoruns which is basically the same source: clean up a registry key after terminating.
it works fine.. same code.. same syntax.. which is why i think it's Calibre itself that's the problem.

It's no big deal.. i'll just add the key to CCleaner :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:32 pm 

Magibon wrote:
Hydaral wrote:
Code:
Really? That's the syntax I'm using in my launchers. Maybe we are using different implementations.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:29 pm 

Hydaral wrote:
Magibon wrote:
Hydaral wrote:
Code:
Really? That's the syntax I'm using in my launchers. Maybe we are using different implementations.

yep.. when i tried your syntax.. NSIS refuses to compile..
Im using the latest NSIS.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:14 am 

Some usage notes

Like most reviewers I've seen, I'm really impressed. The ability to search for e-books, the way it connects to devices, and even the news downloader were all great.

However, the main reason I wanted to use this program was to move various existing files into a format that my Kindle can read, so I tested both very new PDF and very old, poorly formatted text file conversions. Kindle supports both natively, but PDF files are frequently HUGE and hard to read (one of the few moments I wish I had a regular tablet device), while text files with bad carriage returns also look terrible.

Test: PDF Conversion

I was a little confused by some of the controls to convert. The trick is:

1. To watch the lower-right hand corner of the screen where jobs are listed.
    2. When you do select Convert (either individually or as a group) when you click OK it will go down into this jobs list.

Single-column -> MOBI

Very impressed. The converted info looked great on the Kindle. The table of contents didn't work and it didn't understand complex formatting, but that wasn't a big deal for the Kindle.

I have a few PDFs that this program was able to take apart and put into a much cleaner and radically smaller format.

Two-column -> MOBI

Mixed results -- need to retest.

Test: TXT Conversion

I tested an old text file with some ugly bad line breaks, but even tweaking the settings a bit I couldn't seem to get it right. I'd like to figure out a way to fix that in an automatic way.

I didn't test out the content server mostly because there was no information on that and I didn't have a net connection at the time of analysis. Edit: I figured out under the Preferences menu that it runs on the IP address port 8080 (something like http://123.12.14.121:8080)

Wishlist

• Option for plain black and white outline-style icons at the top of the screen. I found the colors a little overwhelming.
  • Included help file
  • A little more in the way of a file viewer and an included PDF viewer. I'm fairly sure the author could include a copy of Sumatra to do the job.
  • A way to physically edit files (apart from the "Tweak" program available for ePub and HTMLz), especially to help fix unclear conversions.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:25 pm 

I just posted about this elsewhere, but I figure it's good to document here as well. Calibre has an e-reader that can be used standalone (without going into the inventory program), as well as a command-line ebook converter, and other command-line utilities (check the Calibre subfolder).

Using Calibre's ereader standalone: launch 'ebook-viewer' which can be found here:
Code:
Calibre Portable\Calibre\ebook-viewer.exe

The document types support is pretty varied, although it has trouble with djvu and pdf files (better suited for STDU Viewer and Foxit, respectfully). I currently have these document types assigned to 'View in Calibre' (using Open++):
Code:
*.epub;*.lrf;*.htm;*.html;*.xhtm;*.xhtml;*.lit;*.mobi;*.pdb;*.prc;*.snb;*.cbz;*.cbr;*.cbc;*.odt;*.doc;*.docx;*.rtf

Using Calibre's ebook converter standalone: launch 'ebook-convert' which can be found here:
Code:
Calibre Portable\Calibre\ebook-convert.exe

The basic command-line for launching ebook-convert is to specify the input file and the output file. If you specify an output file extension, it can determine the correct way to convert it. For example:
Code:
ebook-convert.exe MyBook.mobi MyBook.epub

The full command-line help from ebook-convert, for reference:
Quote:
Usage: ebook-convert.exe input_file output_file [options]

Convert an ebook from one format to another.

input_file is the input and output_file is the output. Both must be specified as the first two arguments to the command.

The output ebook format is guessed from the file extension of output_file. output_file can also be of the special format .EXT where EXT is the output file extension. In this case, the name of the output file is derived the name of the input file. Note that the filenames must not start with a hyphen. Finally, if output_file has no extension, then it is treated as a directory and an "open ebook" (OEB) consisting of HTML files is written to that directory. These files are the files that would normally have been passed to the output plugin.

After specifying the input and output file you can customize the conversion by specifying various options. The available options depend on the input and output file types. To get help on them specify the input and output file and then use the -h option.

For full documentation of the conversion system see
http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/conversion.html

Whenever you pass arguments to ebook-convert.exe that have spaces in them, enclose the arguments in quotation marks.

Options:
--version show program's version number and exit

-h, --help show this help message and exit

--list-recipes List builtin recipe names. You can create an ebook from a
builtin recipe like this: ebook-convert "Recipe Name.recipe"
output.epub

Created by Kovid Goyal <kovid@kovidgoyal.net>