Portable PDF creator

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
acgrego

Portable PDF creator

#1 Post by acgrego »

Hi,

Does anyone knows a portable PDF creator?
I need an application that can select a XLS or DOC and convert it to PDF. Because I don't have administrator previligies on my PC, at work, I can't install a printer PDF drive.....

Thanks

AR

Yucca

#2 Post by Yucca »

I believe that would require installing a printer driver, which requires admin privileges.

As an alternative to a portable PDF application, you could use a a free on-line service to convert most file formats to PDF. For example, you might look at http://convert.neevia.com/ .

You will find a list of other links to online PDF converters at:
http://webapplist.com/search.php?q=convert+to+pdf .

Hope that helps.

Yucca

acgrego

#3 Post by acgrego »

I see. By now, there is not a portable solution.... :cry:

Even for free on-line you gave me nice links. Thanks.

:wink:

banana_1

#4 Post by banana_1 »

If you need a .txt to PDF try PDF Producer : get it HERE.

Hank7

Portable solutions

#5 Post by Hank7 »

If you are familiar with MS Word or any other text processor, working with Tomahawk PDF+ will be easy for you.

But I think what you are looking for is OpenOffice.org Portable. It can open *.doc and *.xls and exports to PDF.

nickoftime

PDF Creation using a Portable Program

#6 Post by nickoftime »

Hey all,

Can anybody offer some new information in regard to this post?

I am looking for a method to create a PDF file using a portable program. Although creating a PS printer and using GS is okay (if you have Admin rights to the PC), I would like to have a program that resides on my USB stick (not OpenOffice; app size too big) and be able to generate a PDF file from any file extension (doc, xls, txt, dat, log, etc).

If anyone can offer some insight, I would definitely appreciate it.

Thanks all,

Nick

grannyGeek

#7 Post by grannyGeek »

maybe you could try one of the online conversion services?
for example:
https://www.pdfonline.com/convert_pdf.asp

I haven't used any of these services, but have seen them suggested at other sites.

Just a thought.

ps -- one of the users on this forum succeeded in getting his OpenOffice down to 80 mb with UPX and deleting unneeded lang and help files -- is that closer to a useable size for you?

Cornflower

Re: Portable PDF creator

#8 Post by Cornflower »

I need an application that can select a XLS or DOC and convert it to PDF. Because I don't have administrator previligies on my PC, at work, I can't install a printer PDF drive.....
Would an online converter work for you. This one converts and sends the result to your e-mail address.
PDFOnline (https://www.pdfonline.com/convert_pdf.asp)

says it can do
Supported Formats:
-MS Word (DOC)
-MS Publisher (PUB)
-MS Word (RTF)
-MS Excel (XLS)
-MS PowerPoint (PPT)
-HTML (MHT)
-MS PowerPoint (PPS)
-Text (TXT)
jpg, png, bmp, tiff, wmf, emf, gif

I've tried it on a few .docs and it works, but I have not done any heavy testing (graphs, tables, etc).

donald

openoffice is too big but

#9 Post by donald »

have you considered taking openoffice portable and deletinting all unused parts and data from the suite
with all unused parts removed
ie launguage pack, unistall exe, calc, Draw,presenter,base,spreadsheet,plugins,and all foreign launguage help files, and foreign readme txt along with all unneeded utilities like updater and the gallery files as well as dictionary etc
just start deleting things you wont use and soon it will be small enough and functional or it wont
since you can download it at home and copy the zip file then install as many times as you need to get it right you can determine exactly what you need to just export from documents to pdfs by installing on your flash and deleting till it works
hope this dosent violate the user agreement with openoffice.org

nickoftime

#10 Post by nickoftime »

Cornflower,

PDFOnline (https://www.pdfonline.com/convert_pdf.asp) worked like a champ. I tried it with a few .doc files and it did the job perfectly. I'm going to try it with .mpp, .xls, and .ppt (add and 'x' at the end for Office 2007) files and will let you know if it does not work.

Hey, thanks for responding to my post!

Also, a big shout out to donald and grannyGeek for responding to my post. I did see the post about UPXing OO down to about 80 meg and removing some unneeded files. Unfortunately, breaking up OO does violate the license agreement. With respect to the authors, I am going to play by the rules and not do anything to violate the licensing agreement.

Thanks everyone for responding.

A Happy New Year to 'youse guys'!

Nick

grannyGeek

#11 Post by grannyGeek »

@ nickoftime -- so glad the online service worked out for you.

Now I have questions for you , OR any other member who can help clarify, because I sure would like to get a discussion going about these GPL and LGPL licenses, which tend to get a little dense and wordy, and confuse my poor Limited Grasp of Perplexing Legalese
:wink:

http://www.openoffice.org/licenses/lgpl_license.html

I understand that most "closed source" software licenses prohibit you from Reverse Engineering or Decompiling the software, but this is "open source"

I don't see where in the text of the LGPL you are prohibited from "breaking up OO".
Why would you be prohibited from removing help files from an installation? (even Microsoft gives you the option to not install those)

Is the LGPL actually forbidding users to modify the "Library" of software for their own use? that is, from using UPX ---

The impression I get is that if you modify the software and then *distribute* it, you must release the modified software under the same LGPL license.

Would anybody like to jump in here and clarify things a bit?

(I do love getting a thread off-track, heeheehee)

Psi_Co_Killa

Re: Portable PDF creator

#12 Post by Psi_Co_Killa »

i know this thread is ancient - still i thought this might help some1

for a nice (MS Office 2007 Compatible) portable alternative , Try :
Softmaker Office Portable (fully installed its ablout 31 MB-Word+Ecell+Powerpoint+Access)

Its Textmaker ("Word") PlanMaker ("Excell") and PresentationMaker ("Powerpoint")all have a nice simple "export to PDF" option
!!!!!!!!SORTED!!!!!!
For a nice Outlook Alternative try : Essential PIM (16 Mb installed)