Bvckup - high speed "delta" sync

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
vacherin

Re: Bvckup - high speed "delta" sync

#46 Post by vacherin »

In terms of portability - nothing is saved anywhere. It always starts at the same spot on the desktop and defaults to C:\. In fact, if there's no C:\ it will complain and exit.

> Wishlist

Got no time for any of these, sorry.This was meant more as a demo for how to visualize spiky data rather than an actual supported tool.

> Other nice things

> * Ability to observe multiple sources at once

You can do that by launching multiple copies of the program.

> * Customize visual refresh speed

The latest version supports this, see https://twitter.com/bvckup/status/992355150663704576 for a screenscap

vacherin

#47 Post by vacherin »

PS. A new release of Bvckup 2 is out, includes some changes that I think are quite interesting... though it's probably of not much relevance here since it's not a freeware.

smaragdus

Re: Bvckup

#48 Post by smaragdus »

@vacherin
If the developer has provided an easy and simple way to run Bvckup in portable mode I might have purchased it.

vacherin

#49 Post by vacherin »

@smaragdus - I am the developer. The program is portable in a sense that the whole config is kept in a single folder, which can be easily specified. However the license is bound to a machine. It can be rebound to another machine and the binding tolerates OS reinstalls and incremental changes to the machine itself, but it is not designed to be routinely moved between the computers. I suspect you already know that, so this is just to clarify the state of affairs for everyone else.

smaragdus

Re: Bvckup

#50 Post by smaragdus »

@vacherin
I never ask questions if I know the answers. Thanks for clarifying that Bvckup is licensed per machine, not per user. Is an external drive regarded as machine? I have portable commercial programs which save the license within the data folder so one can have such programs on external drives. I have an old version of Bvckup (1.0.1.401) which writes to Windows registry only uninstall information. Does version 2 retain the same behaviour? I have two machines but I use only one of them yet I don't like when licenses are bound to machine because this restricts my freedom. Anyway, thanks for the information about the new version.

vacherin

#51 Post by vacherin »

> Is an external drive regarded as machine?

No, the license is bound to the computer, not a drive. In fact, it is *not* bound to any drives.

> Does version 2 retain the same behaviour?

Yes, it does. There's a free version of Bvckup 2 - the last release from the beta cycle (which is the one this site's entry is about).

webfork

#52 Post by webfork »

vacherin wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 6:01 am WishlistGot no time for any of these, sorry.This was meant more as a demo for how to visualize spiky data rather than an actual supported tool.
Few freeware programs here on the site are actively supported in anything but a casual way. Just throwing that out some suggestions for a cool program idea.

vacherin

#53 Post by vacherin »

webfork wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 1:02 pm Just throwing that out some suggestions for a cool program idea.
I typically do the same if someone shows me anything :-)
I'm just saying how things are on my end so not to give any false hopes.

Midas

#54 Post by Midas »

Mod note: posts about Diskovery were given their own topic at viewtopic.php?t=25503.

FYI, Bvckup2 commercial is currently v1.0.81 (release changelog at https://bvckup2.com/support/forum/topic/1313, all changelogs at https://bvckup2.com/support/forum/topic/584); no changes for the last free Beta.