Firefox and JRE question

Discuss anything related to JauntePE, the utlimate utility to help you tame non-portable applications. Share your experience about the apps that work with JauntePE, and the apps that don't.
tottlecp

Firefox and JRE question

#1 Post by tottlecp »

Hi,

I'm trying to get Portable Firefox to use a JRE that has been copied to my USB stick (I'm assuming that there is no JRE on the local OS and that the current user has no rights to install applications on the workstation).

It would seem that Firefox looks at HKLM\Software\JavaSoft to locate the JRE. My understanding of JauntePE is that you can redirect registry values that need to be written to, to a local .reg file.

Is it possible to get Firefox to read from this .reg file, and if so what format dose this .reg file need to be in? Is there a way to export the registry key (via regedit) and convert it to JauntePE format?

Many thanks for your help,
Chris

Chris

#2 Post by Chris »

I believe you would able to do that with JauntePE.
Example of my situation. In Winamp.ini, no_registry=1 is option to prevent Winamp from writing to registry. I used Magamp, an plugin for Winamp. It needs to read entries in the "HKLM\\software\MagSoft\MagAmp" on Winamp starts. Using JauntePE, I was able to run it correctly by making the plugin to read to already defined JauntePE .reg file.

You could convert normal .reg to format that JPE could read by using JPERegger. Go here http://portablefreeware.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2176.

And you could also use Regedit in JauntePE mode. JauntePE will write write request to its .reg file if user makes request to write. So, if user renames "HKLM\Software\JavaSoft" to something like "HKLM\Software\JavaSoft1", JauntePE will put all the JavaSoft entries to JavaSoft1 in its .reg file.

Here is what redllar says regarding how JauntePE works:
• An application makes a request to make use of a registry key.
• JauntePE looks in its own portable registry for that particular application to see if the key exists.
• If the key exists in the portable registry, JauntePE tricks the application into using the portable registry. If the key does not exist in the portable registry, JauntePE passes the request to the system registry.
• When the application makes the request to write, JauntePE will pass that to the portable registry.
Hope it helps.

tottlecp

Thanks

#3 Post by tottlecp »

Thanks for the advice, I will try it out durring the next couple of days.

If I get it to work then I will post my findings.

Chris