LibreOffice Portable

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.

Moderators: usdcs, Andrew Lee, webfork

Uses for LibreOffice up at work

#46 Post by webfork » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:13 pm

Sort of an update on my usage of this program since I've been using it for about for 5 years now.

Those that see LibreOffice always ask me the same question: yeah that's nice but it doesn't look ready for prime time.

Things I use for LO for at my workplace
  • Project and overview documents (todo list, big picture details, etc.)
  • Very large text documents (hundreds of pages) since Word has a tendency to freak out on extremely large docs
  • Initial draft documents (since moving to Word is seamless)
  • Most conversions - whether from rich text or graphics programs
  • HTML edits - including my home page and work with Markdown and Confluence docs
  • Basic PDF edits - usually minor edits to a sentence or something needs to be deleted.
  • Basic spreadsheets - I prefer their spreadsheet program sometimes as Excel can be overwhelming
  • Print outs - printing out things or setting up PDF files where I want the layout to look a specific way (an alternative to Microsoft Publisher)
  • Fixing bad or misbehaving MS Office files
What I don't use LibreOffice for:
  • HOWTO files that involve pictures because drag-and-drop image stuff doesn't work efficiently. I generally use Word here.
  • Track changes, collaboration - It might be great but as I'm the only one at my place of business using LibreOffice right now, I can't test this.
  • Presentations and flowcharts - I do love PowerPoint and Impress just doesn't have the same level of usability. I dislike Visio for many reasons.
  • Complex / Formatted Spreadsheets - Calc is improving but a lot of making data digestible is making it pretty and Excel remains my go-to program here.
Last edited by webfork on Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Few more items, better wording.
Supporting Net Neutrality - BattleForTheNet | Why this matters | More from