Portable Skype (AKA sPortable)

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
webfork

Re: Portable Skype

#106 Post by webfork »

freakazoid wrote:The reason for the renaming is due to licensing and trademark concerns, similar to why Java Portable is named jPortable.
Very strange. Well, at least from a marketing and consumer standpoint, it's a bad idea. jPortable wasn't a great name for Java Portable but there were so many "J___" tools out there (jQuerry, JPC, JSBML, jShell, J++) that it kind of works. Additionally, one advantage there was being unique but with "sPortable" there's quite a bit of overlap.

Sigh.

the accountant

#107 Post by the accountant »

Very strange. Well, at least from a marketing and consumer standpoint, it's a bad idea. jPortable wasn't a great name for Java Portable but there were so many "J___" tools out there (jQuerry, JPC, JSBML, jShell, J++) that it kind of works. Additionally, one advantage there was being unique but with "sPortable" there's quite a bit of overlap.

Sigh.
Good idea! Maybe you can suggest sighportable to the developer. Afterall its becoming a piece of **** to use. Not as bad as Calibre which is the worst piece of software I ever had to use.

Midas

#108 Post by Midas »

the accountant wrote:... Calibre which is the worst piece of software I ever had to use.
  • Much to my chagrin -- my thoughts, precisely. :roll:

webfork

#109 Post by webfork »

the accountant wrote:Maybe you can suggest sighportable to the developer. Afterall its becoming a piece of **** to use.
Sadly, I don't think Microsoft is looking for input on their multi-billion dollar acquisition. I try to avoid the thing but damned if multiple people don't insist on it.

giulia

#110 Post by giulia »

hi
may i know why there is the red warning adware?
i just scan my pc and the folder of the portable version with eset ,it has not found any adware files
thanks

webfork

#111 Post by webfork »

giulia wrote:i just scan my pc and the folder of the portable version with eset ,it has not found any adware files
Just re-tested it a few days ago. I don't know what eset is doing but believe me it's still adware.

giulia

#112 Post by giulia »

webfork wrote:
giulia wrote:i just scan my pc and the folder of the portable version with eset ,it has not found any adware files
Just re-tested it a few days ago. I don't know what eset is doing but believe me it's still adware.
hi
i believe you , weird eset did not find anything
i will try malwarebyte , where does save adware files?
thanks

SYSTEM

#113 Post by SYSTEM »

giulia wrote:
webfork wrote:
hi
i believe you , weird eset did not find anything
i will try malwarebyte , where does save adware files?
thanks
In general, antivirus scanners do not detect adware. Many users opt to use adware regardless of the ads; for them, an AV nagging about the program (or worse, automatically deleting it) would just be annoying.

Skype shows ads right in the program itself: for example, in the screenshot you can see space for an ad at the top.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

giulia

#114 Post by giulia »

SYSTEM wrote: In general, antivirus scanners do not detect adware. Many users opt to use adware regardless of the ads; for them, an AV nagging about the program (or worse, automatically deleting it) would just be annoying.

Skype shows ads right in the program itself: for example, in the screenshot you can see space for an ad at the top.
hi
I got it
thanks System
ps if i want to run a scanner for adware ,what should i use?

SYSTEM

#115 Post by SYSTEM »

giulia wrote:ps if i want to run a scanner for adware ,what should i use?
I'm not aware of any adware scanners, unfortunately. :(

webfork

#116 Post by webfork »

Has anyone else seen this? I got an update notice while running sPortable that I believe just installed regular Skype. I uninstalled regular skype and the prompt returned.

I posted something over on PA about it but thought I'd check with the PFW audience as well.

I can't seem to identify it as a subprocess, which I could auto-ban using Daphne. Suggestions on how to zap it are welcome.

SYSTEM

#117 Post by SYSTEM »

webfork wrote:Has anyone else seen this? I got an update notice while running sPortable that I believe just installed regular Skype.
Yes, I have seen it. When I used sPortable, I saw that prompt whenever it lagged behind regular Skype.

webfork

#118 Post by webfork »

SYSTEM wrote:Yes, I have seen it. When I used sPortable, I saw that prompt whenever it lagged behind regular Skype.
Thanks for confirming. Looks like it was a real thing as Haller just did an update. I'll test soon.

webfork

#119 Post by webfork »

I saw that prompt whenever it lagged behind regular Skype.
Update on this: the (remarkably quick) update that Haller put out resolved this.

freakazoid

Re: Portable Skype (AKA sPortable)

#120 Post by freakazoid »

Going to post this here since I do not have an account over at portableapps.com. Hopefully @JohnTHaller sees it.

sPortable 8.90.0.405 cannot be installed. I'm getting the following when running sPortable_8.90.0.405_online.paf.exe:

Code: Select all

Output folder: c:\apps\sPortable
Preparing to upgrade sPortable...
Create folder: C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\nsyC8AE.tmp\Downloaded
Downloading Skype...
Installing sPortable...
Rename: C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\nsyC8AE.tmp\Downloaded\Skype->C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\nsyC8AE.tmp\Downloaded\Skype-Setup.exe
Create folder: C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\nsyC8AE.tmp\Downloaded
Downloading Skype...
Installing sPortable...
Rename: C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\nsyC8AE.tmp\Downloaded\Skype->C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\nsyC8AE.tmp\Downloaded\Skype-Setup.exe
Delete file: C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\nsyC8AE.tmp\Downloaded\Skype-Setup.exe
The downloaded copy of Skype is not valid and can not be installed. Please try installing again.
Tried running sPortable_8.90.0.405_online.paf.exe a few times with the same result.
is it stealth? ;)