It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Brave (multi-platform web browser)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:30 am 

It seems that Brendan Eich, one of the founders of Mozilla and the brain behind the development of JavaScript, acquired the former Link Browser (available for Android and iOS) to use as a lauching pad for the new OSS Brave browser (currently available only as source code for Windows; see http://github.com/brave/browser-laptop/releases).

http://www.brave.com/ author wrote:
    The new Brave browser blocks all the greed and ugliness on the Web that slows you down and invades your privacy. Then we put clean ads back, to fund website owners and Brave users alike.

Brave is set to be available for Windows, Linux and MacOS, on top of the mobile platforms formerly supported by Bubble -- some interesting clues given at http://www.brave.com/index.html#faster...

Post subject: Re: Brave (multi-platform web browser)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:03 pm 

Interesting stuff but and a good thing to have around if Mozilla falls off the wagon, but I don't see a clear line between this and Mozilla with some plugins, specifically HTTPS Everywhere and Privacy Badger. In fact, I'd prefer an organization like EFF to handle those functions for the same reason that the CEO lists in his "Principal-Agent conflict of interest," which suggests companies often don't do what's in the users' best interest.

License: MPL 2.0

Engine: It's using webkit/blink/whatever (source).

ArsTechnica outlines some of the problems of their approach: http://arstechnica.com/business/2016/01 ... y-default/

Last edited by webfork on Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[better wording]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:13 am 

Well, I agree there could be many unforeseen snags with Brave -- as always, my stance is wait and see.

I hadn't thought of Firefox plus privacy enforcing plugins in the light you shone here and I have to agree that this coupling is the best scenario, ATM. 8)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:03 am 

Found an article at Wikipedia replacement Infogalactic.com/

Infogalactic.com wrote:

Infogalactic.com/ is a hopefully non biased, non political platform as decribed on the main page.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:40 pm 

The program remains in development status, but is seeing some active changes. I was pleased to see the automatic inclusion of HTTPS Anywhere, a plugin that I just recently touted.

http://www.softpedia.com/progChangelog/ ... 51299.html

I'm also glad to see they're embracing an MPL (rather than BSD or closed-source license) but I wonder if this won't push Google to move more Chrome components to closed source to avoid competing with other forks, similar to how they've steered Android.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:17 pm 

webfork wrote:
I'm also glad to see they're embracing an MPL (rather than BSD or closed-source license) but I wonder if this won't push Google to move more Chrome components to closed source to avoid competing with other forks, similar to how they've steered Android.

Existence of Chrome forks is helpful to Google. The important part for them is that the forks use the Blink layout engine. Thus, they increase Blink's market share and help ensure that websites remain Blink compatible.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:21 pm 

SYSTEM wrote:
Existence of Chrome forks is helpful to Google. The important part for them is that the forks use the Blink layout engine. Thus, they increase Blink's market share and help ensure that websites remain Blink compatible.

True, but if a browser comes out whose primary mission is anti-tracking, that's really counter to the whole business model behind Chrome. They put the time, money, and advertising effort into the program so that the user data they draw is more complete and detailed. Small projects are unlikely to disrupt their cash flow, but it's easy to discourage them by putting in a few closed-source components that REAL Chrome users would miss.