It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:41 pm
Posts: 49
smaragdus wrote:
ShareX is not stealth, it creates "ShareX.exe.log" in AppData (C:\Users\UserNAme\AppData\Local\Microsoft\CLR_v4.0\UsageLogs).

ShareX not creates that file, CLR creates it. This log file only contains list of loaded assemblies (dll) and not contains anything private. Like this: "System.Drawing, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral".

Which means every software which using .NET Framework gonna have log file there. My "UsageLogs" folder for example have 12 logs in it from different .NET apps.

https://www.portablefreeware.com/faq.php#stealth in here rule tells:

"Certain exceptions are permitted. For example, registry entries that are created/updated by Windows for the application (eg. MRU entries for dialog boxes, DirectX entries for DirectX-based apps), or temp files created in the official "Temp" folders are not taken into consideration. Note: "Stealth" does not mean non-traceability! In fact, it is quite unlikely you can hide your activities on a Windows machine from a capable system administrator."

So either you have to make entire .NET apps non stealth or follow that rule and accept it as stealth. But I don't see any .NET apps marked as non stealth other than ShareX?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ShareX - screenshot, screen recorder, uploader, etc.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:03 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:09 am
Posts: 3792
Location: Sol3
Good catch, Jaex. TPFC is entirely a volunteer run operation, so oversights like this one tend to crop up every now and then. Let's see what the community makes of it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:19 am
Posts: 2150
Jaex wrote:
ShareX not creates that file, CLR creates it. This log file only contains list of loaded assemblies (dll) and not contains anything private. Like this: "System.Drawing, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral".
In fact, certain frameworks like Qt leaves similar footprints in the registry as well.

I think it's totally acceptable.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ShareX
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 3:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:24 am
Posts: 1769
Location: Aeaea
@Jaex

Jaex wrote:
smaragdus wrote:
ShareX is not stealth, it creates "ShareX.exe.log" in AppData (C:\Users\UserNAme\AppData\Local\Microsoft\CLR_v4.0\UsageLogs).

ShareX not creates that file, CLR creates it. This log file only contains list of loaded assemblies (dll) and not contains anything private. Like this: "System.Drawing, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral".

Which means every software which using .NET Framework gonna have log file there. My "UsageLogs" folder for example have 12 logs in it from different .NET apps.

https://www.portablefreeware.com/faq.php#stealth in here rule tells:

"Certain exceptions are permitted. For example, registry entries that are created/updated by Windows for the application (eg. MRU entries for dialog boxes, DirectX entries for DirectX-based apps), or temp files created in the official "Temp" folders are not taken into consideration. Note: "Stealth" does not mean non-traceability! In fact, it is quite unlikely you can hide your activities on a Windows machine from a capable system administrator."

So either you have to make entire .NET apps non stealth or follow that rule and accept it as stealth. But I don't see any .NET apps marked as non stealth other than ShareX?

Sorry for the late reply.
To my understanding of portable and stealth ShareX is portable but not stealth because I consider all .NET programs to be not stealth. Recently I added an entry (YouTube Pal) to the database and I set its status as not stealth. If I add more .NET programs to the database I will list them as not stealth.

@Andrew Lee

Andrew Lee wrote:
Jaex wrote:
ShareX not creates that file, CLR creates it. This log file only contains list of loaded assemblies (dll) and not contains anything private. Like this: "System.Drawing, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral".
In fact, certain frameworks like Qt leaves similar footprints in the registry as well.

I think it's totally acceptable.

"Acceptable" is one thing, "Stealth" is another. Are .NET programs considered to be stealth or not by TPF definition of stealth?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ShareX - screenshot, screen recorder, uploader, etc.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:06 pm
Posts: 7216
Location: US, Texas
Something I haven't seen before: there's a way to convert from the installer to portable version of ShareX: https://github.com/ShareX/ShareX/issues/2296

Nice.

_________________
Supporting Net Neutrality - BattleForTheNet | Why this matters | More from EFF.org


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ShareX - screenshot, screen recorder, uploader, etc.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:06 pm
Posts: 7216
Location: US, Texas
ShareX can now not only read QR codes, it can read multiple QR codes:
https://gfycat.com/SereneLividBrownbear

From: https://github.com/ShareX/ShareX/issues/2516

_________________
Supporting Net Neutrality - BattleForTheNet | Why this matters | More from EFF.org


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group