It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: QupZilla
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:28 pm 

@JohnTHaller
First, thanks for mentioning of PortableApps.com AppCompactor, I wasn't aware that such a tool existed and it seems to be very interesting.
I have 2x1TB internal drives and several external ones, space is not an issue for me, it is just I don't like bloat.
I haven't tested QupZilla version 2.0.0 yet, so I can't say whether it is better or worse but I am suspicious- once Opera developers were also trying to convince the users how great switching from Presto to Blink would be.
Off-topic
I suggest that you release a portable version of Gajim, which is a straight Jabber client that can be extended via plug-ins. In fact I know that it can be run in portable mode using specific parameters but somehow I failed. I browsed PortableApps instant messaging category and I saw there was no Jabber-only client in the list.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:23 pm 

smaragdus wrote:
@JohnTHaller
First, thanks for mentioning of PortableApps.com AppCompactor, I wasn't aware that such a tool existed and it seems to be very interesting.
I have 2x1TB internal drives and several external ones, space is not an issue for me, it is just I don't like bloat.
I haven't tested QupZilla version 2.0.0 yet, so I can't say whether it is better or worse but I am suspicious- once Opera developers were also trying to convince the users how great switching from Presto to Blink would be.
Off-topic
I suggest that you release a portable version of Gajim, which is a straight Jabber client that can be extended via plug-ins. In fact I know that it can be run in portable mode using specific parameters but somehow I failed. I browsed PortableApps instant messaging category and I saw there was no Jabber-only client in the list.

AppCompactor isn't really intended for bloat. Just for size issues. It causes launches to take a fraction of a second more and the app itself to consume a small percentage more RAM while running. It also causes the download package to wind up a bit larger because original EXE/DLL -> LZMA installer compresses better than original EXE/DLL -> UPX -> LZMA installer.

As for Gajim, there was a Dev Test of it back in 2008 of a user that is no longer active. You could add a comment to one of the requests for it and see if we can generate interest.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:28 pm 

@JohnTHaller
Quote:
As for Gajim, there was a Dev Test of it back in 2008 of a user that is no longer active. You could add a comment to one of the requests for it and see if we can generate interest.
Done.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:41 pm 

In my testing, QupZilla 2.0.0 and 2.0.1 don't work on my Windows XP, Vista or Windows 7 virtual machines. On XP, the entire virtual machine crashes when you attempt to launch qupzilla.exe (the only app I've ever seen do this). On Vista and 7, QupZilla will launch, force Windows to use the Windows Basic theme (disabling Aero) and then show with a window frame around whatever was on the screen. This frame never shows the browser and doesn't update except pulling whatever window is dragged over it. Other users report seeing a black screen: https://github.com/QupZilla/qupzilla/issues/1943

This last issue likely wouldn't affect Windows 8/8.1/10 as they do not use Aero. It runs seemingly without issue on my Windows 8.1 x64 machine.

Due to these issues, QupZilla Portable at PortableApps.com is remaining at version 1.8.9 for now. We're considering dropping the app due to security reasons - hopefully temporarily - until these issues are resolved.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:54 pm 

QupZilla 2 uses QtWebEngine, which uses Chromium as its engine.

This increases the filesize by almost three times(!), but should provide better stability and rendering.

If you liked v1, which used QtWebKit as its engine, consider Otter.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:51 pm 

JohnTHaller wrote:
Due to these issues, QupZilla Portable at PortableApps.com is remaining at version 1.8.9 for now.

This didn't crash my VM but it's definitely to be avoided. Note added to entry. Thanks.

Very disappointing given that this is one of the few serious browsers out with a GPL license.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:17 pm 

QupZilla is moving under KDE and looking for new name
:?

Post subject: Falkon (formerly QupZilla)
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:14 pm 

QupZilla was renamed to Falkon

Post subject: Re: Falkon (formerly QupZilla)
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:13 pm 

billon wrote:

Well it's a better name than QupZilla, especially since it's not Mozilla-based.