XVA Assistant

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
GeddichNixan

Re: XVA Assistant

#16 Post by GeddichNixan »

I contacted the author. According to his explanations XVA has "application-virtualization capabilities". It is supposed to be able to create "portable software packages" including an application's files and the necessary registry entries.

This function is currently available on 32-bit systems. XVA has to be started with admin rights in order to get access to the application virtualization capabilities.

As I'm on a 64-bit system I couldn't test it.

smaragdus

#17 Post by smaragdus »

@GeddichNixan
GeddichNixan wrote:I contacted the author. According to his explanations XVA has "application-virtualization capabilities". It is supposed to be able to create "portable software packages" including an application's files and the necessary registry entries.

This function is currently available on 32-bit systems. XVA has to be started with admin rights in order to get access to the application virtualization capabilities.

As I'm on a 64-bit system I couldn't test it.
The developer sent me screen-shots showing how to use "application-virtualization" but I could not test it either because I am using a x64 system and I have disabled User Account Control (UAC). I asked him for permission to use his screen-shots in this forum thread.

GeddichNixan

#18 Post by GeddichNixan »

I recommended the developer to lake a look at this site and this forum in particular as here are some portable freeware enthusiasts who may be helpful for further development.

smaragdus

Re: XVA Assistant - virtualization

#19 Post by smaragdus »

The developer allowed me to use his screen-shots illustrating how virtualization works:

XVA Assistant - Run as administrator:

XVA Assistant - Record:

XVA Assistant - Record Software:

I will also quote from his message for further clarity and details:
Why I can't see these commands?
"application-virtualization" can run on 32-bits OS for now. (64-bits is developing).
if run on 64-bits, XVA will hide this menus ("Import", "Record" and "Software Manager")
if you have VMWare, VirtualPC, QEMU, KVM or etc, you can run XVA on an 32-bits Windows OS (from Win2K to Win10).
XVA(X-Application-Virtualization) has application-virtualization capabilities that it can virtual registry, file and other operations of application. It work like Microsoft APP-V. Software don't need be installed.
please reference here: http://www.idesktop.me/swf/xva.swf and http://www.idesktop.me/swf/newdemo.swf

I use this technique to simulate Apple's appstore. software can download from network and use directly.
for example, there are two people, Tom and Alice.
Tom:
a. record: launch an install of an software, recording the registry and file operations.
b. export: export all the software's registry and files to a .7z file.
c. Tom share this .7z file to Alice.

Alice:
a. import: import this .7z file. and it will import all this software's registry and file to local RES\VFS directory.
b. mount: that's mean let OS know the virtualization. and the software will work as it had been installed.
PS: Alice can put XVA on USB disk, and plugin the USB disk to an different machines. (don't need installation)
The developer has created two video tutorials:

http://www.idesktop.me/swf/xva.swf
http://www.idesktop.me/swf/newdemo.swf

The videos may take a bit longer to load.

Currently I have neither a x32 system nor a virtual machine installed so at the moment I cannot test the virtualization feature of XVA Assistant. For me this virtualization feature seems extremely interesting and useful.

Midas

Re: XVA Assistant - virtualization

#20 Post by Midas »

smaragdus wrote:I cannot test the virtualization feature of XVA Assistant. For me this virtualization feature seems extremely interesting and useful.
I totally agree. Let's hope 64 bit compatibility happens in the near future... :)

GeddichNixan

#21 Post by GeddichNixan »

It would be a great program if it made portable packages (including the necessary registry entries), even if the packages were bound to be used with the launcher and not separately. The current problem is (according to the information from the developer) that the packages need a system driver to work. The driver needs admin rights or it must be installed on the host computer beforehand. This is a serious issue and makes XVA rather unusable as a packager. The developer asked me for some advice. I encouraged him to visit our site here 'cause my knowledge is very limited and I know there are some very nice and knowledgable people here. :-)

smaragdus

#22 Post by smaragdus »

As user Stroport has already noticed XVA Assistant website is gone. I contacted the developer for information and waited for a week to get a response but there was none. XVA Assistant can still be downloaded from Softpedia. I have 5 versions of the program (including the last one- 0.5.2017.0511) and I can upload them on demand. If the developer replies to my question (which now I thinks is quite unlikely) I will inform the community. Two other Chinese developers- those of minipad2 and HDDB, did exactly the same- took their websites offline and didn't bother to respond what had happened.

smaragdus

#23 Post by smaragdus »

I got a reply from the developer that the website was operational again so I updated the database entry accordingly.

webfork

#24 Post by webfork »

I have a situation where I'm running multiple different graphics editors and need to open individual images in different editors depending on the situation. To do this, I've used XVA to function as a drag-and-drop destination for these images. It works great and it's saved me a bunch of time this week.

Wishlist:

* Some kind of thumbnail calendar would be cool
* Ability to:

- Change size of icons (the default is fine)
- Hide text underneath icons OR show full text (by default it shows about 5 characters)
- Show as list (useful when you want to add various files for a given project)
- Stay on top capability
- Stay docked on the corner of the screen
- Disable transparency (I find it distracting)

webfork

#25 Post by webfork »

webfork wrote:It works great and it's saved me a bunch of time this week.
Here's a detailed look at my setup, which I'm including PDF viewers, LibreOffice, and a hashing program across 3 screens:

ImageImageImage

All function with drag-and-drop and generally work great. This is really working out.

Midas

#26 Post by Midas »

Nicely done and good to know. Thanks. 8)

webfork

#27 Post by webfork »

Midas wrote:Nicely done and good to know. Thanks. 8)
Sure thing -- this is the first new launcher program I've used consistently in years.

Belga

XVA Assistant 0.8.2018.0409 for Windows

#28 Post by Belga »

"XVA Assistant allows you to access and manage your desktop by turning it to a smartphone-like workspace. It comes with a stylish user interface and features easy-to-understand functions."

Download on Softpedia : http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Lau ... tant.shtml
Test VirusTotal : https://www.virustotal.com/fr/file/b01a ... 524117556/

webfork

#29 Post by webfork »

Belga wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:04 am "XVA Assistant allows you to access and manage your desktop by turning it to a smartphone-like workspace. It comes with a stylish user interface and features easy-to-understand functions."

Download on Softpedia : http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Lau ... tant.shtml
Test VirusTotal : https://www.virustotal.com/fr/file/b01a ... 524117556/
Hello and welcome to the site. I agree about XVA and in fact it's actually already been added to the site (https://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=2882). I'll merge your post with the existing thread.