Directory Monitor

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
I am Baas

Directory Monitor

#1 Post by I am Baas »

Directory Monitor can be used for the surveillance of certain directories and/or network shares and will notify you of file changes/access, deletions, modifications, and new files in real-time.
https://directorymonitor.com/index.html

Dl @ https://directorymonitor.com/download.html

Tested DirectoryMonitor.exe version 2.10.6.0: Portable

Settings within application folder

Empty folder at \user\all\.mono\certs\Trust
Empty folder at \AppData\Roaming\.mono\certs\Trust and in \AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Crypto\DSS
Writes to \AppData\LocalLow\Microsoft\CryptnetUrlCache\Content and to \CryptnetUrlCache\Metadata (seems to be doing some cert probing but I need to further dig into this)

Midas

Re: Directory Monitor

#2 Post by Midas »

".mono"? I suspect this is a DotNET app...

smaragdus

#3 Post by smaragdus »

The free version is not extremely limited- feature comparison. For a .NET program Directory Monitor doesn't use as much RAM as I would have expected. But it starts a bit slowly.
Last edited by smaragdus on Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Midas

Re: DirectoryMonitor

#4 Post by Midas »

Topic update: DirectoryMonitor v2.11.0.0 released (changelog at https://directorymonitor.com/download/ChangeLog.txt).

XP compatible, DotNET v4.0 required.

webfork

#5 Post by webfork »

A pro version has been made available with some nice extras that don't amount to an underpowered free nor overpowered pro version (see comparison).

This program was updated just two days ago with a lot of changes since this was first posted:

- Fix Emailer options layout cutting off the port settings.

- Updates to user detection. Improved accuracy when multiple users and processes are making changes at the same time and improved waiting when Windows delays audit creation (Ticket #1405 and 1458).
- Add Turkish translation.

- Added default system language option because date and time formats were being defaulted to US when selecting English (Ticket #1434).

- Updated Japanese translations.

- Pausing monitoring on a directory will now just pause the processing and queue up events instead of temporarily disabling it.
- Include Oracle client libraries to avoid having to install large data provider just to connect to a remote Oracle database (Ticket #1336).
- Ping "crl.microsoft.com" to ensure the service will startup correctly when Windows performs certificate revocation checks.
- Improved user detection on directory creation.
- Force starting the application in elevated mode when user detection is being used.
- Fixed inactivity timer sometimes triggering on application upgrade (Ticket #1098).
- Added %count% macro that can be used in certain places to determine how many events occurred before triggering script execution or emailing (Ticket #1426).
- Added execute limit to the execution plugin (Ticket #1409).
- Added ability to change user interface language from a menu option (automatic language detection disabled).

webfork

#6 Post by webfork »

This is a pretty amazing program that I'm glad is being made available in some sort of free version. As such I've added it to the database:

Directory Monitor
https://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=2914

Please vote if you agree.

Specular

#7 Post by Specular »

Anyone know why their FAQ has an item about installing a trusted root certificate of theirs in Windows for Directory Monitor? What purpose does it serve for this program? Hardly seems like a trivial thing one should be installing without knowing what it's for.

webfork

#8 Post by webfork »

Specular wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:30 am Anyone know why their FAQ has an item about installing a trusted root certificate of theirs in Windows for Directory Monitor? What purpose does it serve for this program? Hardly seems like a trivial thing one should be installing without knowing what it's for.
This whole thing only appears to affect WinXP (or earlier) users. Unfortunately their "how to install" link is broken and I really wouldn't trust Comodo, which is where they're listing their cert. I'd look into other software.

As to certs, they were supposed to function as a sort of authentication/security benefit, though I don't get the sense that's been very effective.