FAR - "Find And Replace" Tool

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
dot

FAR - "Find And Replace" Tool

#1 Post by dot »

http://findandreplace.sourceforge.net/

I was looking for a free "Find and Replace" tool that could do a bit more than the usual "find and replace" options in the usual simple text editors ( I needed to add some identical text with some special characters and an additional line break after every single paragraph of a longer text which the simple editors couldn't do).

Came across this really nice open source tool. Requires no installation, but requires Java. It can do several files at once and quite some other sophisticated stuff.

It has a very useful "Undo" option that can undo the entire batch operation in one go which simple editors can't do. To achieve some more sophisticated replacements you HAVE to read the help file first and learn a bit about the "regular expressions". Took me about half an hour until I achieved what I wanted to do. You can also save your search or replacement patterns (useful if it's a more complicated pattern that you can't quickly make up again). And it has a nice Preview, so you can see in advance whether the result will be satisfactory.

I have to add, after I learned about the "regular expressions", I managed to achieve the same result in my regular text editor (Metapad). But I could never have worked it out without this tool (and its helpfile). Also, if you make one little mistake in your text editor and mess up the operation (if it's a more complicated replacement you will inevitably start out with some unwanted results), you can't undo it in one go as with this tool.

webfork

Re: FAR - "Find And Replace" Tool

#2 Post by webfork »

Program screenshot:

License: GPL v3

Midas

#3 Post by Midas »

Just a note for the inattentive (like myself): don't confuse this FAR here with FARR (Find And Run Robot; viewtopic.php?t=4575)... :idea:

Kokiafan

#4 Post by Kokiafan »

I would love it if someone would contact me about this tool. I am able to find content in multiple files in the folder I select. But after using the FIND, I try to do a REPLACE, and FAR says "o files updated."

About to lose my mind here....

webfork

#5 Post by webfork »

Kokiafan wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:31 am I would love it if someone would contact me about this tool. I am able to find content in multiple files in the folder I select. But after using the FIND, I try to do a REPLACE, and FAR says "o files updated."

About to lose my mind here....
It's pretty easy to open an issue with the dev on the Sourceforge site: https://sourceforge.net/p/findandreplace/fartzzz/