HdCleaner

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
malikorx69

HDCleaner 3.142 Beta

#1 Post by malikorx69 »

JohnW

HdCleaner

#2 Post by JohnW »

HdCleaner
This program is a very comprehensive Disk Cleaner which stands comparison with all the major players.
When I first encountered it, the program was not portable. I corresponded with the author and either coincidentally or as a result of my enquiry, he brought out a portable version.
I encountered a few minor snags at first but these have been resolved in version 1.031b.
I am still corresponding with the author on some matters.
For example. the program includes a file - PortableUninstall. I have yet to find out why this is included. It occurs to me that perhaps it is not truly portable!

The program is available from...
https://kurtzimmermann.com/index_e.html

There are two other "portable" programs on the Site...
1. TweakPower
This is an extremely powerful and comprehensive tweak tool.
Full details are available from the MajorGeeks site.
Unfortunately I have yet to be able to download an English version

2. RegCool
A registry editor with some advantages over the standard Windows offerings.
It seems perfectly usable but some German till remains.

I'd be interested in what TPFC experts think

webfork

Re: HdCleaner

#3 Post by webfork »

EDIT: Feature summary (and there's a lot of them):
  • Plugin Cleaner - deleting Internet traces, Windows tracks and program traces. Support for over 700 plugins.
    1-Click Maintenance and Automatic Maintenance - can be with the "Auto Maintenance" and "1-Click Maintenance" multiple optimization steps run automatically, to ensure a tidy, reliable and fast operating system
    Registry Cleaner - Cleans registry, eliminates errors and optimizes the performance of the computer. NOTE: The settings made are applied to the "1-Click Maintenance and Automatic Maintenance"
    Make room on your PC - Remove Unnecessary Files
    Optimize services - Disabling unnecessary services lowers the background activities, win system resources and shoveling memory free, which can be used for other programs
    Find Duplicate Files - In time duplicates of all kinds accumulate on the hard drive, which needlessly take up space and can down the entire system
    AntiSpy - disable settings in Windows, which will autonomously contact the Internet.
    DiskDoctor-lists and corrects errors on the disk
    Defragment Registry- Analyze and optimize the registry database
    DirToHTML - output contents of a selected directory as an HTML file
    Backup & Restore - complete backup and restore the registry ..
    DLL Cleaner-Frees the system from unnecessary and old DLL files
    Hive backup backup and restore the registry
    Browse registry - Browse the registry in turbo mode
    Creating and Editing System Restore Points
    Wipe files and folders
https://kurtzimmermann.com/hdcleanerext ... msg-box5-1

JohnW

#4 Post by JohnW »

Thanks to webfork (who else!!!) for a useful addendum

Further to my OP, the author informs me that settings are kept in...
\AppData\Roaming\HDCleaner in a file 'inifile.ini'.
A number of folders were also stored there.
I have indicated to the author that this is against the ethos of portability but of course he may not wish to make the necessary changes. I am totally ignorant as to what might be involved.

webfork

#5 Post by webfork »

JohnW wrote:Thanks to webfork (who else!!!) for a useful addendum
Sure thing. Also it turns out this was mentioned before in the forums but without any detail why it should be considered. I have merged the threads.
JohnW wrote:Further to my OP, the author informs me that settings are kept in...
\AppData\Roaming\HDCleaner in a file 'inifile.ini'.
Thanks for that. I'll go ahead and push to the not-portable thread for the time being.
JohnW wrote:I have indicated to the author that this is against the ethos of portability but of course he may not wish to make the necessary changes. I am totally ignorant as to what might be involved.
Most of what I do for programs I'd like to see go a portable direction is make a case with the developer, noting how it will attract more users and solve problems. If you're already in touch with the developer you can point out a few reasons why this change is useful.

JohnW

#6 Post by JohnW »

Most of what I do for programs I'd like to see go a portable direction is make a case with the developer, noting how it will attract more users and solve problems. If you're already in touch with the developer you can point out a few reasons why this change is useful.
Wise words webfork! I did in fact take this approach with a developer of another program. It worked successfully with significant code changes and correspondence during this period.

With the HdCleaner developer I am reminded of the old proverb...
"You can lead a horse to water but...!

In case others take a look I should add one other point.
The program includes a file 'PortableUninstaller.exe'.
This does indeed remove the program's AppData entry and if this was all it did I suspect it would be tolerated by this forum. But it requires a system reboot and it also removes the program folder. You couldn't make it up!

Midas

#7 Post by Midas »

Quick post to note that updated info on RegCool was posted to http://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/ ... php?t=3055 ...