FileZilla entry

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
fzss

Re: FileZillaSecure

#16 Post by fzss »

Hi, I'm one of the Filezilla Secure devs.
smaragdus wrote: It seems that FileZillaSecure does not respect FileZilla portability settings- it always writes to AppData (C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\FileZillaSecure)- sloppy work, I will not test this program any more.
Can you tell me exactly what Filezilla Secure is doing that Filezilla doesn't?
smaragdus wrote: Probably the developer intended to get some donations by cheating the users that the Windows XP version is still in development. I think that it is no coincidence that the latest FileZillaSecure version is the last FileZilla version which supports Windows XP- 3.18.0.0. This looks like a fraud. I am sorry I posted about FileZillaSecure.
FileZillaSecure 3.18.0.0 does not run in a XP vm for me. I don't know when Filezilla dropped XP support but according to a post above:
JohnTHaller wrote:FileZilla 3.9.0.2 fully drops Windows XP support and won't run. I've updated the entry and added a link to the older and unsupported 3.9.0.1 build for Windows XP users.
We will release a Filezilla Secure version of 3.9.0.1 or whatever the newest version that works with XP is if there is enough demand for it.

webfork

Re: FileZillaSecure

#17 Post by webfork »

fzss wrote:Hi, I'm one of the Filezilla Secure devs.
Hi and welcome to the forum.
fzss wrote:
smaragdus wrote:It seems that FileZillaSecure does not respect FileZilla portability settings
Can you tell me exactly what Filezilla Secure is doing that Filezilla doesn't?
FileZilla has a functionality available that lets you use an XML file to handle where settings are stored (described in the extract process here: https://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=9) I have not tested this but I suspect what smaragdus is saying is that functionality isn't available in FileZillaSecure. As such it's settings don't travel with the program, which is our main objective on this site.

smaragdus

Re: FileZilla - a bug

#18 Post by smaragdus »

I think that there must be a bug in FileZilla versions 3.23.0.0 and 3.23.0.1 which affects portability, these versions write to AppData (C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\FileZilla)- theme files (.PNG) are extracted there. I suppose that the bug has something to do with this change in version 3.23.0-rc1 (2016-11-28):
New high-resolution icons
For me the last version of FileZilla that really works in portable mode is 3.22.2.2. I will appreciate a confirmation of this problem.

joby_toss

Re: FileZilla entry

#19 Post by joby_toss »

Tested FileZilla_3.23.0.1_win64.zip on win10x64.

-downloaded .zip file and extract
-created settings sub-folder
-renamed fzdefaults.xml.example file from docs sub-folder to fzdefaults.xml
-edit fzdefaults.xml so the string $SOMEDIR/filezilla/ from Config Location line now reads settings
-moved fzdefaults.xml from docs up one level (same as filezilla.exe)
-run filezilla.exe

Result: config files are saved in settings sub-folder, but the icons cache is still created in AppData.

Verdict: portable, not stealth (I'm sure it will be fixed in future versions).

Note: quote from the fzdefaults.xml file:
Kiosk mode

If the "Kiosk mode" setting is set to 1, FileZilla will not write any
passwords to disk. If set to 2, FileZilla will not write to any
configuration file. The latter is useful if FileZilla gets executed from
read-only media.

Disable update check

If the "Disable update check" setting is set to 1, the capability to
check for new FileZilla versions will be completely disabled.

smaragdus

Re: FileZilla

#20 Post by smaragdus »

@joby_toss
Thank you for the confirmation. This problem seems to happen for the first time (I use FileZilla since version 3.4.0.0 from 2011.05.09).
Verdict: portable, not stealth (I'm sure it
will be fixed in future versions).
I hope so.

Edit
The developer (Tim Kosse) responded that:
This is intentional and not a bug.

From the NEWS file:
Speed up icon scaling and cache scaled icons for faster subsequent loading. The cache directory can be changed through fzdefaults.xml using the "Cache directory" setting
I failed to use "Cache directory" setting. Since this is not a bug I think that FileZilla database entry needs to be updated. I do not like this change at all.

Edit
My forum rank at FileZilla Forum - 500 Command not understood:

seems right.

Edit
I forgot to mention that:
Registration using a gmail.com address has been blocked due to massive amount of spambots registering through gmail. Please use an email address from a private or for-pay email hoster instead.

Edit
I wasted more than an hour struggling with the latest versions of FileZilla, I think I will keep to version 3.22.2.2, at least for the time being.

billon

#21 Post by billon »

3.23.0.2 (2016-12-06)

Bugfixes and minor changes:

• Allow relative paths and environment variables in the "Cache directory" setting.
Fixed?

joby_toss

#22 Post by joby_toss »

Yes, it is! Thank you, Mr. Tim Kosse!

@smaragdus: Thank's for bringing this to developer's attention!

giulia

#23 Post by giulia »

hi
it creates a folder with several png files in c:\Users\User\AppData\Local\FileZilla\
at least under w7

thanks

smaragdus

Re: FileZilla cache directory

#24 Post by smaragdus »

@giulia
giulia wrote:hi
it creates a folder with several png files in c:\Users\User\AppData\Local\FileZilla\
at least under w7

thanks
For more information see the comments above and this forum thread.

For example if you would like to have the cache folder inside FileZilla folder open fzdefaults.xml and change this string:

Code: Select all

<Setting name="Cache directory">$USERPROFILE/Documents</Setting>
to

<Setting name="Cache directory">cache</Setting>
Then the scaled icons would be stored in \FileZilla\cache.

giulia

Re: FileZilla cache directory

#25 Post by giulia »

smaragdus wrote:@giulia
giulia wrote:hi
at least under w7

thanks
For more information see the comments above and this forum thread.

For example if you would like to have the cache folder inside FileZilla folder open fzdefaults.xml and change this string:

to

Then the scaled icons would be stored in \FileZilla\cache.
hi smaragdus
thank you !
i have to add the

because my preferences don't include

smaragdus

Re: FileZilla Pro

#26 Post by smaragdus »

There is a paid version of FileZilla - FileZilla Pro, which supports Amazon S3 and costs 8,88 €/9,95 $:

The installers offered for download at FileZilla web-site (https://filezilla-project.org/) are bundled, better get it from SourceForge (https://sourceforge.net/projects/filezilla/files/).

JanisS

#27 Post by JanisS »

That's a true problem. So for important accounts, just do not use use such software in case of malware. I use lastPass for simple password remembering.

JohnTHaller

#28 Post by JohnTHaller »

Also worth noting that the website switches the position of FileZilla and FileZilla Pro in the above image between downloads seemingly at random. So when you go to upgrade there's a good chance it's on the left rather than the right like it was the last time you downloaded or vice versa.
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

webfork

Re: FileZilla Pro

#29 Post by webfork »

smaragdus wrote:There is a paid version of FileZilla - FileZilla Pro, which supports Amazon S3 and costs 8,88 €/9,95 $:
As you noted with Snipaste developing a "pro" version, this is unfortunate but, given that Filezilla has a boatload of great features, lacking AmazonS3 certainly doesn't make it crippleware.

Also I remember a time before Filezilla when anything but basic FTP was something you had to pay for. So part of me wants to give them a little more room to fund the project on this where I might be less forgiving elsewhere.
smaragdus wrote:The installers offered for download at FileZilla web-site (https://filezilla-project.org/) are bundled, better get it from SourceForge (https://sourceforge.net/projects/filezilla/files/).
I'm actually okay with projects that provide a bundled version so long as a non-bundled version is also available. So for example, I'd be happy to support developers by getting a copy of some popular program I'm probably going to end up installing anyway (like Chrome or Acrobat). However, in this case it's not totally obvious and what's bundled with the program is unexplained, which makes me worry they're throwing in some garbage like OpenCandy or it's variants.